Last updated on November 12th, 2022 at 09:58 am
For whatever reason, you cannot fly your booked flight. The one option left with you is to cancel your flight. Southwest Airlines provides a flight Cancellation option, allowing passengers to cancel tickets they have previously purchased with Southwest Airlines effortlessly.
Southwest Flight Cancellations are flexible and depend on the ticket purchased, the destination, and the fare class. In case of Cancellation of any time, Business Select or Senior tickets, the exact amount of the purchased fare will be credited back to the original payment method.
Have a Glance at Southwest Airlines Cancellation Policy
Southwest Flight Cancellations Policy is straightforward. Passengers can cancel their flight ten minutes before their scheduled departure time without penalty.
- If you buy your flight ticket via Rapid Rewards, points will be credited to the loyalty account.
- Additionally, if passengers buy their flight tickets in cash, they will be refunded to your payment method or converted to your Travel Credit, depending on your fare type.
- However, if not canceled at least 10 minutes before departure, the ticket’s purchase price will be converted to travel credits that can be used for future purchases.
- Moreover, if passengers cancel their non-refundable booking within 24 hours, you can refund your original payment method or convert your fare to travel credit.
- If you receive Southwest Travel Credits after cancelling your ticket, please be aware of some limitations on using your credits.
- In addition, travel credits can only be accessed by the confirmation number and the passenger’s name who booked initially.
- Therefore, it cannot be transferred to another person. Travel credits also have an expiry date. You must use your travel credits to travel on a new flight within a year of your original flight date.
Furthermore, the Southwest Airlines Cancellation policy is user-friendly, & the process is relatively easy, so you can consider cancelling your flight if your plans of flying change or prices drop. You can rebook your tickets using points, travel credits, or cash refunds.
Southwest 24 Hours Cancellation Policy
The Southwest cancellation policy 24 hour is only applicable when you book your tickets through the mobile app or website.
- The Southwest cancel within 24 hours does not apply to complementary flight tickets.
- Southwest 24 hours policy does not work for the Wanna Get Away Tickets.
- Moreover, you should book your flight at least seven days before the departure date.
- In addition, you can cancel your ticket by calling the reservation department of Southwest airlines.
Cancel Southwest Flights for Refundable & Non-Refundable Tickets
Tickets that allow cash refunds are refundable tickets. The funds are transferred directly to your credit or debit cards. Anytime and Business Select fare types.
Southwest Airlines bookings can be quickly cancelled without penalty. However, if the customer cancels the flight with a non-refundable fare, they will receive the travel fee. Moreover, you can use the credit for future trips from the date of the first purchase to one year. Credits can be reused as long as they are cancelled under the no-show policy.
What is Southwest Cancellation Policy Wanna Get Away ticket?
- They are non-refundable tickets.
- You will get two check-in bags for free.
- Every dollar spent on the ticket will win 6 points each.
- According to current rules, there are no changes or cancellation charges. But you will not avail of the refund amount directly.
- Further, this also does not allow standby for earlier flights.
- Anything beyond the mentioned amenities will be chargeable as additional fees.
Step-By-Step Guide to Cancel Southwest Flight Using the Online Method
- First, visit southwest.com.
- Log in with your credentials.
- Then, provide your 6-digit booking reference number and last name.
- Once provided with all the details, you can easily fetch the booking you want to cancel.
- Now, select the flight to cancel. Then, tap on the cancel tab and cancel your ticket.
- Afterward, pay the Cancellation fee, if required, and you are done.
- Lastly, you will get the Cancellation mail in your inbox.
How to Cancel Southwest Flight Via Call?
- First, dial 1-800-435-9792.
- Carefully listen to the IVR menu to connect with the airline’s live agent.
- Afterward, tell your query, and the representative will ask for your ticket confirmation number and last name.
- The representative will make the cancellations on your behalf.
- In the end, make the payment if required.
Here is a list of what and what not is reusable, refundable, or non-refundable tickets under Southwest Airlines:
|Fare Type||Reusable or Not||Refundable or Non-Refundable|
|Wanna Get Away Tickets||Reusable||Non-Refundable|
|Business Select Tickets||Reusable||Refundable|
Southwest Airlines Cancellation Fee
According to the airlines, you can cancel your ticket free of cost within 24 hours of making a purchase. On the other hand, cancellations made after 24 hours of booking will lead you to pay the cancellation charges. Thus, to know the exact charges read the table given below:
|Type of Ticket||Cancellation Fee|
|Wanna Get Away||$200|
|Wanna Get Away No Show||Not Permitted|
|Anytime No Show||$150+$75|
|Business Select No Show||$125+$75|
Southwest Airlines Refund Policy
Before we know about the procedure for getting the refund, it’s essential to have detailed information on the policy. Once the passengers see the policy, they can complete the refund procedure. Also, it’s necessary to see if you are eligible to get the refund amount or not. It is not possible to get the refund amount back under all circumstances. So, go through the points below and find the Southwest Airlines refund in detail.
- Firstly, southwest Airlines has considered any-time fares and Business Select fares refundable. Furthermore, Southwest Airlines allows cancelling your booking more than ten minutes before departure. So if you did the same, you could get the refund amount.
- Business Select funds of Southwest Airlines are turned into travel funds that one can use in the future. So, if there is a no-show, the points will be added to the rapid reward account of the buyer.
- Furthermore, when the passenger cancels the official website or via the phone application, they will get the refund in the original form of payment.
Southwest Airlines Refund For Early Birds
The refund policy given above is set up by Southwest Airlines for all its passengers. However, if you are the one who chose the early bird option, then you need to know about its policy too. The information below will allow you to know in detail about the refund policy for the early bird.
- Firstly, if you bought a non-refundable ticket online and made its cancellation within 24 hours before the departure, then you’re eligible to get a full refund.
- Furthermore, if you cancel your booking via the official website, you do not have to pay any additional cost.
- Remember you are eligible to use the phone number or phone application of southwest Airlines to request for refund within 24 hours of making the reservation. Once the flyer does so, they will receive the refund via the original form of payment.
- In addition, the flyers can get their refund by using the manage booking option available on the official website.
Multiple Methods to Claim a Refund on Southwest Airlines:
The Flyers learned about the policy through the information above. The next question that strikes the flyer’s mind is the refund. If you are a flyer who wants to know how do I get a refund from Southwest Airlines, then the information below will help you.
Furthermore, Southwest Airlines has set up a straightforward method for getting the refund amount. Follow the steps below in the same order and complete the refund procedure of Southwest Airlines.
- Firstly, visit the Southwest website.
- Furthermore, once the site opens up, you must look for the “change/cancel” option on the homepage.
- Once you click this option, a new page will open up. You need to mention the information on this page, including your first and last name and the booking confirmation number.
- In this step, select the “cancel flight” option and press it.
- Here, you will see all of your bookings with Southwest Airlines. Next, click on the booking you wish to cancel and select the “cancel flight” option.
- Once you cancel your booking, you will see the option of a refund. Remember, you can request a refund if you cancel within 24 hours of buying the ticket.
- Lastly, you will get confirmation from Southwest Airlines on your registered email.
You need to get the official number from the website and contact the travel representative. Once you reach the travel experts, they will help you complete the refund procedure. Furthermore, please provide them with important information like the booking confirmation code and the passenger’s name.
Can I cancel my Southwest flight?
As per Southwest Airlines policy, you can cancel your ticket online and offline.
Do I get a refund if Southwest cancels my flight?
Yes, you are eligible for a full refund if the airline cancels your flight. At the same time, a passenger traveling with a Wanna Get Away fare is also suitable for a full refund if cancellation is made by the airline.
Does Southwest cancel within 24 hours?
As noted above, you can cancel your ticket within 24 hours of the purchase, which is also known as Southwest free cancellation, which is done at no cost. On the other hand, a passenger traveling with Wanna get Away will also get a full refund if cancellation is made within 24 hours of booking.
How long does Southwest take to refund?
Southwest Airlines will take 5-30 days to process your refund amount, as per the Southwest refund policy. Moreover, the refund department will initiate the refund process in your original form of payment within seven business days of receiving the request.