Are you planning your trip with the Virgin Atlantic? Well, for a comfortable journey and to avoid any hassle on your trip with your family and friends, you need to know all the necessary information such as what is the Virgin Atlantic Baggage Policy. What are the Virgin Atlantic Baggage Allowance and fees? How much baggage weight and size you can carry with you on your Virgin Atlantic Airlines?
Besides this, you also need to be aware of how much carry-on baggage you are allowed on domestic and international flights. Virgin Atlantic applies different rules for cabin flyers like economy and premium economy. Read all the rules and restrictions at the same place so that you do not face any inconvenience and enjoy your trip with Virgin Atlantic Airlines.
- Economy classic and delight: 1 bag, 23 kg
- Economy Premium: 2 bags. 23 kg each
- Upper Class: 2 bags, 32 kg each
- Maximum dimensions : 90*75*43 cm
- Economy (light, classic, and delight): 1 bag, 10 kg
- Economy Premium: 1 bag, 10 kg
- Upper class: 2 bags, [combined weight should not exceed 16kg]
- 0-23 months babies and toddlers: 1 bag, 6kg
- Maximum dimensions: 23*36*56cm
Virgin Atlantic Carry-on Baggage Allowance
Flyers must know how many handbags they are allowed. Every flight follows a different policy regarding carry-on baggage allowance. Virgin Atlantic permits one carry-on bag, you can take with you inside the flight under limited size and weight. Read out this information before you book your ticket with the Virgin Atlantic.
- The size of your carry-on bags on Virgin Atlantic flights should be a maximum of 23*36*56 cm.
- You can place your bag on the overhead bins unaided so the size should not be more than the recommended.
- If any passenger requires special assistance, tell the Virgin Atlantic team at the time of medical clearance.
- The Virgin Atlantic baggage allowance for premium economy or economy (Light, Classic & Delight) cabin is one carry-on bag weighing up to 10 kg. Make sure that your handbag does not go overweight otherwise, you will have to remove some items from your carry-on bag and add them to the hold bags.
- Virgin Atlantic is distinct with its rules based on the cabin you choose. Virgin Atlantic baggage allowance for the upper class is two bags. The combined weight should be at most 16 kg. For instance- you can carry one handbag weighing up to 12 kg and then the other one should be at most 4 kg. The weight limit for one carry-on bag is 12 kg in the Virgin Atlantic baggage policy for the upper class.
Virgin Atlantic Carry-on Baggage Allowance for Infants and Children
- Virgin Atlantic provides facilities with separate bags for babies and toddlers up to 0-23 months weighing up to 6kg each.
- The children who are aged up to 2+ years, Virgin Atlantic applies the same allowance for carry-on baggage as applied to adults. They can carry one personal bag weighing up to 23*36*56cm.
- Virgin Atlantic also permits the fully collapsable pushchair and car seat for infants and children. You need to note that your pushchair will be the part of carry-on baggage allowance on Virgin Atlantic flights. So, it should not be more than 23*36*56cm.
- You must be able to place folded pushchairs and car seats in the overhead bins.
- When your journey is towards London Heathrow, you need to remember that your pushchair will not be delivered to the aircraft door. It will be available at the baggage reclaim.
What Additional Items Can You Bring in Carry-On Baggage?
Here is the list of the items you are allowed to take with you on board in the carry-on luggage
- Handbag, purse, or pocketbook.
- Umbrella and walking sticks that should not be sharp.
- Reading matters for the flights.
- An infant’s food and milk in a container do not exceed 2000ml.
- Also, your overcoat.
- Headphones (3.5mm jack).
- A small camera or pair of binoculars.
- Laptop that fits into your handbag.
- You can carry cigarettes, cigars, and lighters with you onboard but you can not smoke them inside the plane.
- Virgin Atlantic applies some limits on liquid items such as gels, pastes, lotions, foams along water bottles. Liquids must be in individual containers of 100ml or smaller which should be in single transparent bag sizes up to 20cm* 20cm and a maximum of one litre capacity.
- You are allowed to take your wedding dress in addition to your hand luggage but wrap it well in a bag or a box.
- Besides this, you are allowed the garments bag but that should not exceed the dimension limit.
Items that are Not Eligible in the Carry-On Baggage
Here is the list of the items that you can not carry with you in the carry-on luggage.
- Sporting bats
- Smart bags
- Torch-style cigarette lighters
- Non-safety matches
- Toy or replica guns plastic or metal)
- Open drinks
- Any dangerous and sharp items
- Do not wrap gifts because security agents may unwrap them due to security concerns
Virgin Atlantic Checked Baggage Allowance
When you are packing your bags you need to be aware of the size and weight limit that is allowed under the Virgin Atlantic baggage allowance policy. Read out this information regarding the checked baggage policy to avoid the inconvenience while boarding.
For Economy Classic and Delight
- One bag
- Weight should not be more than 23kg (50 pounds)
- Maximum dimensions- 90*75*43cm
For Economy Premium
- Two bags
- Weight limit 23kg each
- Maximum dimension allowed 90*75*43cm
For Upper Class
- Two bags
- The weight limit is 32kg each
- The maximum dimension should not be more than 90*75*43cm
Note -In the Economy Light Cabin, no free check baggage is allowed.
Virgin Atlantic Checked Baggage Allowance for Children
- For those children and infants who have their own seats, the same checked baggage rule will apply.
- Virgin Atlantic permits for the one checked bag to the infants without their seats.
- In economy light, you may purchase one bag per infant at 75 USD.
- Also, the passenger can carry a collapsable pushchair and car seat as checked baggage.
Baggage Allowance for Flying Club Gold Members
Virgin Atlantic provides their Flying Club Gold Members the facility to carry one extra checked-in bag weighing up to 23 kg. Besides this, there is no bound of the cabin, flying gold members can carry it in whatever cabin they are traveling.
Virgin Atlantic International Baggage Policy
Virgin Atlantic allows two checked bags on the following route irrespective of the fare type except for the Economy Light.
- From the UK/USA to India or from India to the UK/USA.
- to/from Nigeria
- From/ to South Africa
- To /from Pakistan
Can I Bring Musical Instruments on Virgin Atlantic Flights?
Virgin Atlantic permits for musical instruments under their baggage policy. You can carry musical instruments in 3 ways with you on the flight.
- In your hand baggage– If your instrument is small, you can carry it with you as carry-on baggage but the size and dimensions should not be more than mentioned before.
- In the seat next to you- You can book approximately two seats for each instrument, and the size of the instruments should not be more than 75kg and the center of mass should be under 30 cm above the top of the seat cushion
- As a part of your checked-in baggage– You can take your musical instruments as your checked luggage.
Does Virgin Atlantic Allow Sports Equipment Under their Baggage Allowance?
Well, Virgin Atlantic permits the sports equipment as checked baggage allowance but the size & weight should not cross the limit according to the airline. If the sports equipment is more than 23kg, you will have to pay the overweight fee for the bag.
In Economy Light, you can not carry any sports equipment as it doesn’t include any checked baggage. So, always keep in mind your fare type when you are packing your baggage. There is a weight limit for sports equipment of 32kg, your sports equipment should not exceed that limit. You can bring the following sports equipment under some restrictions.
- Archery– To carry archery with your checked-in baggage, you need to complete some paperwork. You will be allowed to carry one bow, one quiver, and your arrow. Ensure that your bow and arrow are loaded in separate bags and the weight limit should not exceed 23kg.
- Cricket- Virgin Atlantic allows for all the cricket equipment (bat, ball, wicket, and pads) until it crosses the mentioned weight limit of 23kg.
- Fishing– In your fishing equipment, you can carry two roads, one reel, one pair of fishing boots, one tackle box, and one landing net. But this should not exceed the weight limit of 23 kg.
Virgin Atlantic Baggage Fees: Extra Bag, Overweight and Oversized Items
Virgin Atlantic allows for one free baggage where the weight limit should not exceed 23 kg for Economy Classic & Delight and Economy Premium members. Along with that if you are the flyer of the upper class you can carry two bags but the weight limit should not cross 32kg. Also, the dimension for these fares is 90*75*43cm. If you exceed the limit of weight and dimensions you need to pay extra charges for it.
You can carry extra bags with you on your flight. You just will have to pay a particular amount for it as mentioned depending on the number of bags. Also, you need not worry when your checked-in bags are overweight or oversized until the weight crosses 32kg. This is the maximum weight you can fly with.
|Economy Classic & Delight
To add more baggage, visit Virgin Atlantic Manage Booking.
Virgin Atlantic Lost, Delayed, and Damaged Baggage Policy
Although Flyers and Virgin Atlantic always take care of their baggage sometimes, they face tragic situations like losing their bag, receiving a damaged bag, or delay in receiving. In that condition, passengers can complain to the Virgin Atlantic airline team for help.
- You will have to report your delayed item before leaving the airport and they will give you a Missing Bag Report AhL. Besides this, you will have to tell the staff the accurate description of your lost item like size, color, labels, stickers, or decorations materials and scratch marks.
- The Virgin Atlantic staff will give you a 10-character reference number.
- You can also track your bag and its update on the World Tracer Customer Portal, you just need to enter your surname and 10-digit reference number.
- You can write an email to [email protected].
- Virgin Atlantic is available 24/7. You can contact them via SMS on
- UK: +44(0)7481 339 140
- US: +1 800 880 6253
- Virgin Atlantic provides a $75 per day allowance to their passengers to purchase essential items if the baggage is delayed. Make sure that you keep all the receipts with you of the items you have purchased for the claim.
- In case the staff does not find your bag within 21 days, they will inform you. You can claim for the compensation if this situation occurs.
- It is beneficial if you have travel insurance. You can make an easy claim through travel insurance. Provide them with all the necessary documents for better compensation.
How to Make a Baggage Claim?
If you have not done your travel insurance, and you are facing a delay, damaged, or lost scenario, you can follow these steps to fill out the baggage claim form.
If the staff does not find your bag within 21 days, they will declare it as a lost item. You can claim your lost bag by following the steps given below.
- First, list your lost items in the lost baggage log.
- You can use an additional item log in case your list is incomplete.
- Always save a copy of the log to your device.
- Now, complete your Irretrievably lost bag form.
- Attach all the receipts, saved Irretrievably lost baggage log, and additional log to the form if needed and send it.
If you find your baggage in damaged condition, you can claim compensation within seven days of collecting it. However, the Virgin Atlantic does not accept minor damage as a claim and they are not liable for it. But you can claim for the major damage by filling out the form. Here is the process you can claim when you receive the damaged bag.
- First, you need to list out the damaged or missing items in the missing/damaged content log.
- Also, you can add items in the Additional Baggage content log if you run out of space.
- Do not forget to save a copy of the log on your computer.
- Now complete the damaged baggage /missing content form and attach the saved log, receipt, and additional log with the form.
- Lastly, click on the send button and your form is complete.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the Virgin Atlantic checked baggage allowance?
Virgin Atlantic’s checked-in baggage allowance differs according to the fare type. If your baggage crosses the weight size, you will have to pay an extra charge for the luggage.
- For economy & economy premium- 1 bag, 23kg
- Upper class- 2 bags, 32 kg
How much is the carry-on baggage allowance on Virgin Atlantic?
Yes, you can carry one small bag with you as a handbag on Virgin Atlantic flights. You need to remember that your carry-on bag should not be more than 10 kg if you are traveling in economy class. If you are flying in the upper class, you can bring two carry-on on bags the flight but the combined weight limit is a maximum of 16kg.
What is the baggage allowance for Virgin international flights?
Virgin Atlantic allows 1 bag for economy class and 2 bags for premium economy weighing up to 23kg each. Two bags for the upper class weighing up to 32kg. Besides this Virgin Atlantic permits for the pushchair and car seat with 1 bag for the infants.
What is a 2pc baggage allowance in Virgin Atlantic?
Passengers book for the Virgin Atlantic Economy Premium where they are allowed to carry two pieces of checked bags. The weight should not exceed 23kg. The dimensions should be under 90*75*43 cm for each.
How many free checked bags are allowed on Virgin Atlantic?
Virgin Atlantic permits free checked bags according to the fare type-
- If you are traveling on the economy light, no checked bags are allowed.
- You are traveling economy classic delight, you can carry one checked bag.
- For economy premium, Virgin Atlantic allows for the two checked bags.
- If you are flying the upper class you can carry two checked bags.
How much do I have to pay for extra checked baggage on Virgin Atlantic?
In the case of Economy Light, passengers will have to pay $75 for one extra bag. The price will go up to $200 for additional baggage purchases. Premium Economy and Upper-Class passengers will have to pay between $100 to $200 for extra bags.
Can you have clothes in your backpack and a carry-on?
Yes, Virgin Atlantic allows for the clothes in your carry-on bag but that should not exceed the dimension limit. Besides this Virgin Atlantic also allows for the wedding dress in addition to your handbag. But make sure that the is wrapped properly in a box or bag.
Is Virgin strict with baggage allowance?
Every passenger can take one carry-on bag with them inside the plane. But the dimensions should not be more than 23*36*56cm. Whereas the weight should not be more than 10kg. Besides this, you can also carry musical instruments or sports equipment with you as carry-on luggage but should not exceed the weight and dimension limit.