Planning a trip includes arrangements for the baggage. So, travelers flying on any airline have to manage their baggage weight and size. You may face very restricted baggage allowance on many airlines, but Japan Airlines offers generous baggage allowance. If you are flying on JAL, then you do not have to worry about luggage due to the flexible Japan Airlines Baggage Policy. On JAL flights, passengers can bring carry-on bags and have a better standard checked-in bag allowance than other airlines.
Japan Airlines Baggage Policy For Carry-On Items
Different Airlines have different baggage policies, but Japan Airlines Baggage Policy for carry-on is –
- One personal item.
- One handbag.
However, all carry-on bags must meet the following specifications and fit in the overhead compartment or beneath the seat in front of you:
Carry-on Luggage Weight and Dimension Restrictions
If the airplane has more than 100 seats, then the maximum carry-on luggage dimension can be – 55cm x 40cm x 25cm.
On the other side, if the airplane has more than 100 seats, then the maximum carry-on luggage dimension can be -45cm x 35cm x 20cm.
According to the Japan Airlines baggage policy, the total carry-on luggage weight should be 22 lb/10 kg for all domestic and international flights.
Guidelines For Liquid Carry-On Items
Fluids can only be transported in certain quantities on foreign flights. You can carry all the liquids and aerosols in bottles in your hand baggage but make sure the quantity should not more than 100 ml.
All the bottles containing liquids or aerosols, or gels must be packed in a clear plastic bag. Moreover, their volume should not exceed 1 liter. Also, the plastic bag size should be 20.5 cm x 20.5 cm, or 25 cm x 15 cm, or of equivalent size.
But that’s not all, and one person can carry only one package of liquids or aerosol. The package of liquids or aerosols should be present separately from other baggage at the security control point.
However, according to Japan Airlines Baggage Policy, here are some exceptions for liquid items:
If a passenger explains their need to carry medicine or food, then they are allowed to carry medicines and baby/diet food without a plastic bag, and the quantity of the bottle can be more than 100ml. All the packages will be allowed if any passenger purchases liquids or gels from the duty-free shops at the airport. But the container should be packed in a tamper-proof bag. All the liquid items will be approved for carriage if:
- The container is packed airtight at the time of purchase.
- Also, passengers must have a confirmation receipt of their purchased item.
- The container with liquids or gels should be sealed and packed.
Japan Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
If you are flying on Japan Airlines, your free international checked baggage allowance varies according to your fare class. For the premium and premium economy passengers, the maximum weight of the luggage should be 23kg. On the other hand, the maximum weight for business and first-class tickets should not exceed 32 kg.
|No. of Checked Baggage
|Maximum weight per bag
Checked baggage service for infants is also provided by Japan Airlines if an infant is traveling on an adult’s lap. Japan Airlines provides the convenience for infants to carry one checked baggage with similar dimensions and weight limits as adult passengers.
If you are flying on domestic Japan Airlines flights, passengers can check 20 kg of a bag, free of cost across the number of bags. On the other hand, as per Japan Airlines Baggage Policy, the weight limit for First-class passengers is 45 kg.
However, the luggage allowance differs slightly for the JMB Flyon Members and JGC Members. The members of the following program can bring
- Economy/Premium Economy Class: The Passengers of economy/premium economy class can carry only 3 bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each.
- First/Business: The Passengers of First/business class passengers can carry 4 bags up to 70 lbs (32 kg) each.
On the other hand, JMB CRYSTAL members without JGC status:
Premium Economy/Economy: The passengers of economy/premium economy travelers can carry 3 bags weighing up to 50 pounds (23 kg) each.
Checked Baggage Size Restrictions Imposed By JAL
If you compare Japan Airlines and US Airlines, Japan Airlines offers greater baggage dimensions than other US Airlines. The maximum baggage dimensions that Japan Airlines provides is 203cm for any passengers traveling on any international JAL flight. However, the bag dimensions on domestic JAL flights should not exceed 50 x 60 x 120 cm, according to Japan Airlines Baggage Policy.
Eligible and Prohibited Baggage Items
Here is a list of those items which are eligible and prohibited by Japan Airlines. The list of eligible items is below:
|One lighter per person
|Hair curler (under specific voltage regulations).
How Much Fee Does JAL Charge For Extra Baggage?
The travelers have to pay additional charges for extra baggage. The fee depends on the route. Refer to the table below for details on extra baggage fees:
|Additional baggage fees per piece
|Between Japan and Asia, Guam, and Oceania
|Between the Middle East, Japan, North/Central/South America, and Asia.
|Between Africa, India, Oceania and Hawaii, Europe, Russia (Moscow)
Fees For Overweight and Oversized Bags
Sometimes, the baggage of a passenger can be above the weight. In such cases, an excess baggage fee is applied. Although, the baggage fee that needs to be paid may vary depending upon the size and the weight, which is exceeded.
|Overweight23 to 32 kg
|Overweight32 to 45 kg
|Between Japan and Asia, Guam, Russia, and Oceania
|Between the Middle East, Japan, North/Central/South America, and Asia.
|Between Africa, India, and Oceania and Hawai, Europe, and Russia.
How To Add Extra Baggage To Japan Airlines Bookings?
When you travel with Japan Airlines, they send you the standard baggage allowance as soon as you book your flight ticket. Although, in some cases, if the baggage is in excess of the limit, then the passengers have to add them to their itinerary through the Japan Airlines Manage Booking facility. Here are the quick steps to add baggage on Japan Airlines Flights.
- The first step is to visit the Japan Airlines website.
- Click on the Manage Booking option.
- After that, click the manage flight booking option.
- Now this is important; if you are a Non-JMB member, enter the flight details. You need to fill in the number of your flight, boarding date, last and first name, and reservation number.
- To get access to your flight information, click on the booking details.
- However, if you are a JMB member, enter the JMB membership number to access the flight details quickly.
- Once you get access to the flight details, choose the add baggage option.
- Likewise, if you are carrying an extra suitcase, then enter your extra baggage’s number. Similarly, if your baggage is oversized, then enter the dimensions.
- After that, pay the additional baggage fees according to Japan Airlines Baggage Policy.
- Lastly, pay your baggage fees, and you will receive a confirmation mail of extra baggage allowance to your travel plan.
What To Do If Japan Airlines Delayed Or Damaged Your Baggage?
- If you face any issue related to misplaced baggage or if it is not delivered to you on time, then you can contact the airline’s representative. The airline’s representative will help you find out and confirm the whereabouts of your luggage. Once your luggage is found, the corporate representative will ship back your luggage. However, you can file a claim for reimbursement if the airline is unable to find your luggage in 30 to 45 days.
- But that’s not all; if your baggage is damaged while traveling with Japan Airlines, you can reach out to them. Make sure you contact them within 7 days of receiving your baggage. The JAL will repair the baggage or apply any other suitable remedial measures. However, keep in mind that the JAL will act according to its policies. So, if the condition of the carriage doesn’t fall under its criteria, it requests its passengers to contact the airport.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the maximum size of a check-in bag on JAL?
The maximum size of a check-in bag on JAL flights should not exceed 203 cm. If the size of the bag is above 203 cm, then JAL will not accept it.
What is the policy for carrying the liquid on JAL flights?
According to Japan Airlines Baggage Policy, passengers are free to bring up to 100 ml of a liquid. The liquid container should be packed inside a 1-liter plastic bag.
How many kg of baggage is allowed on Japan Airlines?
Japan Airlines allows 10 kg of standard carry-on bag allowance. In the case of checked bags, travelers can bring each bag of 23 kg for Premium and Premium Economy tickets. Also, Business class and First-class passengers can check in 32 kg of each bag.
How much does excess baggage cost in JAL?
If you carry additional bags, including your free baggage allowance, then you will be charged 200 USD to 100 USD per additional piece on the international flight. But, on domestic flights, the extra baggage fee is $50.
What is the standard baggage allowance on JAL international flights?
JAL International allows their Business class and First-class passengers to carry three bags free of charge. On the other hand, Economy and Premium Economy Class passengers are allowed to carry two bags.
What happens if your luggage is overweight?
A passenger can carry 7-plus bags while traveling with JAL, but in case their luggage is overweight, then additional charges will apply to their excess baggage.
What is the carry-on luggage allowance on JAL flights?
On JAL flights, travelers can bring two pieces of carry-on baggage. One will be a personal item, and the other can be a carry-on bag (laptop. Handbag, or backpack).
What items are prohibited in checked baggage on Japan Airlines?
Japan Airlines strictly prohibits passengers to pack sharp objects, flammable liquids, blunt objects, and toxic gases in their check-in bags. So, make sure to not pack these items in your luggage.
What should be the size of carry-on bags on JAL flights?
The size of the check-in bag on flights having more than 100 seats should not exceed 55cm x 40cm x 25cm. On the other side, the maximum size of cabin bags should not be more than 45cm x 35cm x 20cm.
What is Japan Airlines damaged bag policy?
Japan Airlines damaged bag policy allows passengers to make a claim for their damaged bag within 7 days after their arrival. JAL will repair the bag or provide you with a new one if it falls under its damaged bag criteria.