In some cases, Alaska Airlines allows free flight changes for passengers who own First Class or Main Cabin fares.
Knowing about the Alaska Airlines Flight Change Policy is a must for all those looking to change their reservation made with Alaska Airlines. The Flight change procedure is straightforward and will not take much time to complete.
Before proceeding with this guide, check out this detailed video.
Alaska Airlines Flight Change Policy
If you have traveled with Alaska Airlines, you may know that they provide four types of fares; Saver Fare, Main Cabin Fare, First Class Fare, and Award Fares. All the fares have different flight change policies as they have different amenities to serve the passengers. Have a look below to know the applicable Alaska Airlines Flight Change Policy as per the fares.
In comparison to the Basic Economy Fares, Saver Fares are cheaper. Unfortunately, as per the Airline’s Guidelines, the passengers are not allowed to make flight changes, cancellations, or refunds on this fare. If you still want to make any sort of change to this fare then you will be required to cancel it first and then rebook yourself on the other seat or flight with new details.
Refund Rules For Saver Fare
- If you want to get the refund as cash then you will have to cancel it within 24 hours of purchase time.
- If you cancel it before 14 days of the departure then the airline will give you 50% of the actual price of the ticket.
- Also, you will get the amount deducted for tax and other required fees as a travel credit.
Main Cabin Fare
- Alaska Airlines allows passengers free cancellation on Main Cabin Fares.
- Free Cancellations are valid till one day prior to the departure.
- You may be required to pay the fare difference.
- The fare difference will be calculated by the difference between your previous flight ticket and your current flight ticket.
- If the cost of the current flight ticket is more than your previous fare then you will need to pay the fare difference or if it is less then you can apply for a refund.
First Class Fare
The change flight policy for first class works as same as the Main Cabin Fare.
Alaska Airlines allows free flight changes on fares booked with Credit points or miles. However, you have to pay the fare difference if the cost of the new flight ticket is more than your previous flight ticket.
Same-Day Flight Change Policy
If you change your flight on the Same Day, the airline will not charge you the fare difference but you may be required to pay USD 25-50. You can make changes to your flight on the same day during check-in and before the departure.
Also, as per the Alaska Airlines Change Flight Policy, the departure day and time of your current or new flight must be the same as your previous flight including the details of the passengers, destinations, and the connecting cities.
If you have a refundable flight ticket and MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k Mileage Plan membership then the fee is waived for making changes on the same day.
Additionally, if you have travel insurance then you can use it to get compensation even on the non-refundable flight ticket as it covers both refundable and non-refundable fares. You should know that the airline will serve you with several benefits on booking a flight ticket with a credit card.
Eligibility Criteria For Flight Change
Unfortunately, the Alaska Airlines Flight Change feature is not available for everyone. If you are matching with the Eligibility Criteria that is written below, you are allowed to make hassle-free flight changes. If not, you should contact the live person or your travel agent directly. Check out the criteria below:
- First, you need to make sure that your flight ticket is booked via Live person on call, at the ticket counter, or directly from the official site.
- Your Reservation must not have more than 7 passengers.
- Passengers can make changes online for the tickets which does not include any government-related fee.
- The flight ticket must not be booked via a travel agent.
- Award Fares have different policies.
- You cannot change a reservation made for a group.
- Vacation packages are not allowed for change.
Eligibility for Same-day Flight Change
- You have to carry a confirmed fight ticket with you.
- Before the departure, you can ask for a flight change.
- You can change the date and destination but you cannot change the terminal.
- You need to make sure that the day of departure of your new reservation is as same as your previous flight booking.
Fares Not Eligible For Same-Day Flight Change
- Saver Fare Holder
- Vacation Packages Holder
Steps To Change Your Flight
Before proceeding with the change flight process, you must know that in what type of fare you are going to make modifications. It is already written above that Saver Fare is not eligible for a refund which means you can’t change Saver Fare. Now we just have Main Cabin, First Class, and Award Fares which you can change via different methods for free. Follow these steps for hassle-free flight change;
Step 1: Login to your account then go to the upcoming trips section.
Step 2: Choose a reservation then click on the reservation you want to change.
Step 3: Select a passenger for whom you are going to make a change.
Step 4: Now click on the Change a Trip option.
Step 5: Click on the Change Flight button in the departing flight section.
Step 6: From the list, you have to choose one fare.
The fares in the list are:-
- Lowest main or first class
- Refundable main or first-class
- MVP/MVP Gold/MVP Gold 75K
- MVP Gold Guest
Step 7: After choosing the desired fare, hit on the continue option.
Step 8: To proceed further, select a new fare and then you will see the fare difference if applicable on the same screen.
Step 9: After completing all the required formalities, save your changes.
Via Airport Helpdesk
Step 1: At the airport, navigate to the currency counter.
Step 2: Meet the live person.
Step 3: Provide the booking confirmation code or record locator.
Step 4: Ask them to change your flight.
Step 5: After that, the airline’s representative will let you know all the available options that can meet your requirements.
Step 6: Choose one of the available flights, and then they will tell you the required amount to pay if necessary.
Step 7: Pay for the necessary charges with your debit or credit card, and you will receive a confirmation email.
How To Change Award Flight On Alaska Airlines?
The Fare that you have booked with miles can be changed for free with Alaska Airlines. If there is a fare difference, you can pay for it by miles. To change this fare, follow these steps;
Step 1: Log in to your Alaska Airlines account.
Step 2: Go to the Upcoming Trips option.
Step 3: Tap on the Change Reservation option.
Step 4: Choose the passenger for whom you want to make changes in flight.
Step 5: Hit on the Change this trip button.
Step 6: Tap on the change flight option that you will find in the section of departing flights.
Step 7: From the list on the screen, choose the fare you have to change.
Step 8: Scroll down to the bottom and click on the continue button.
Step 9: Choose a new flight and follow the on-screen instructions.
Change Flight Date Process
When it comes to changing your flight date, you have to know the Date Change Policy first. As per the Alaska Airlines Change Flight Date policy, passengers can change their flight date 11 months prior to the scheduled flight with no extra charges. Check out the steps below to learn the process of changing an Alaska Airlines flight date.
Step 1: Open the official site of Alaska Airlines.
Step 2: Select the Alaska Airlines Manage Booking option.
Step 3: As per the ticket and confirmation mail, fill in your booking confirmation code and your last name.
Step 4: Now you can see every detail of your previous booking.
Step 5: Click on your ticket.
Step 6: After that, you have to choose the desired date.
Step 7: If the charges are required, then pay using the available payment methods.
Step 8: At last, your new boarding pass will be sent to your email account.
Alaska Airlines Change Flight Fee
- If you are applying for a same-day confirmed flight change, then you will need to pay 25 to 50 USD. You don’t need to pay a fare difference.
- If you are only changing the flight date, then you will only need to pay the fare difference.
- If you are among the standby passengers, then you can pay 125 USD to change the flight to an earlier or later time.
- Up to 60 days prior to the scheduled flight, you can modify your trip dates for 125 USD.
- If the total distance between your departure and arrival locations is 500 miles or less, you must pay 25 USD to change the flight.
- If the total distance between your departure and arrival destinations is more than or equal to 501 miles, you will need to pay 50 USD to change the schedule of your flight.
|Changes within 24 hours of booking
Tips To Get Free Flight Change On Alaska Airlines
- Try to change your flight 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight.
- Boost your mile account and spend it to pay for the charges.
- Be prepared with trip insurance.
- fall under the “same-day flight change” policy.
- Use the credit card of the airline to pay for the charges.
Terms & Conditions
- Before departure, you can reschedule your flight anytime.
- Changes made within 24 hours of booking are free.
- You can make changes in Main Fares and First Class Fares for free but you may be required to pay the fare difference.
- Changes in flight can be done via the Alaska Airlines official site, mobile app, on-call, or at the airport directly.
- For Saver Fare, you have to cancel it first and then rebook it with new and correct details.
- You can make changes to your reservation during check-in as per the Alaska Airlines Same-day Flight Change Policy.
- If the cost of the new reservation is cheaper than the previous fare then you will get the remaining amount as a refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to change a flight with Alaska?
You can change your reservation without any fare difference on the same day but you have to pay $25-50 as a change flight fee. Passengers are not allowed to make changes in Saver Fare. However, if you still want to make changes then you have to cancel it first. You will get a full refund on canceling the Saver Fare if you cancel it within 24 hours of booking.
How can I change my flight without paying a fee?
If you are changing a flight ticket that is purchased 7 days prior to the departure within 24 hours of booking then the airline will not ask you for any change flight fee. Another method for free changes is, that you can cancel it within 24 hours time-frame, get a full refund, and rebook it with new details.
Can you reschedule a flight?
Passengers are allowed to reschedule a flight. However, they have to keep the change flight policy in mind during the process. The policy depends on the type of fare you have purchased. You may or may not get the free changes.
Does It cost more to change flight dates?
Well! it also depends on the type of fare you have purchased. if you have purchased a flight ticket within 7 days prior to the departure then you are allowed to change the travel date for free. to know more about flight date change policy or fee, you can visit the official site or dial the official phone number.
Can I change my flight at the airport?
If you are already at the airport, you must navigate to the airport counter and ask the live person for a flight change. You should remember that your new flight departure date must be the same as your previous flight ticket.
Do airlines have to pay you if they change your flight?
Yes. If your flight is changed by the airline and you are not fine with the new flight or its time then you can ask the airline to reschedule it as per your requirements or you can ask for a refund. In this situation, you are eligible for a full refund.
Can I change my flight anytime?
Yes. Before departure and till the time of check-in, you can change your flight anytime you want. But, you must know the Change flight policy first. As per the guidelines, you may be required to pay the change flight fee.
Can I get a refund if my flight is rescheduled?
If your flight is rescheduled by the airline and you don’t want to travel at the new departure time then you can cancel it and apply for a full refund. Also, instead of cancellation, you can ask the airline to rebook it on the other available flight at your desired time.
Can I change my flight directly with the airline?
If you don’t want to use the online way then you can call the airline by dialing the official number. when you connect with the live person, you can ask them to change your flight and they will proceed with the process on your behalf. Also, you can visit the airport customer service counter to complete the process with the help of a live person.
Is there any way to change an Alaska Saver fare?
Within 24 Hours of booking, you can cancel it and get a full refund. outside the 24-hour change flight policy, you are not allowed to change or cancel it and not even you will be eligible for a refund.