If you have booked your flight ticket with Delta Airlines, but now you want to cancel it due to changes in your plan, then you must know all the rules and regulations of Delta Cancellation Policy. In this guide, we’ll discuss all the important things regarding this policy including the policy, ticket cancellation process, refund procedure, and much more.
- Delta Cancellation policy allows you to cancel your ticket by paying a flight cancellation fee.
- However, the cancellation fees can be eliminated by canceling the ticket within 24 hours of purchasing the flight ticket.
- In addition, Delta Airlines compensates the passengers if the flight is canceled from the airline’s end.
- The flight cancellation rules are different for various fare types.
- Furthermore, Delta Airlines allows both online and offline options for canceling the Delta flight ticket.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy
Here are some of the important points listed below about the Delta Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy that every passenger must know about.
- When a passenger books their flight with Delta Airlines, they also get the facility to cancel their flight as well.
- However, they have to pay some fee for canceling their flight ticket. And the fee depends on the type of ticket they have.
- Also, after canceling the flight, travelers also get a refund from the airline as well.
- But the amount of the refund they get depends on their fair type. And they have to fill out a request form to receive the refund from Delta Airlines.
- Furthermore, flyers also ensure that they must apply for a refund before their travel ticket expires.
- Passengers will get their refund in their account within 7-10 working days.
- Additionally, if the flight of the traveler is canceled by Delta Airlines end, then they are entitled to get compensation. The airline will compensate either by booking the next flight for free or by refunding their money.
Delta Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
- Delta Airlines’ 24-hour flight cancellation is a risk-free policy that allows travelers to cancel their reservations for free.
- In simple words, passengers are allowed to cancel their tickets without incurring any charges or fees regardless of their fare type.
- Also, flyers get a full refund after canceling their ticket within 24 hours of purchasing their flight ticket.
Exceptions To Delta Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
Delta Airlines 24-hour cancellation policy does not apply to the below conditions:
- Tickets that are purchased from a third party or any travel agency.
- Reissued tickets that are partially flown.
- Paper Tickets.
Delta Flight Cancellation Policy For Different Ticket Types
The airline offers different ticket types to its passengers. The cancellation policy for these ticket types is different. Below is a brief given below about the Delta Cancellation policy for these ticket types.
Ticket Cancellation Policy For Delta Basic Economy
- As per Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy for Basic Economy tickets, passengers can cancel their tickets within 24 Hours without paying any cancellation fees.
- However, once this risk-free period is over, the airline will not allow the travelers to cancel their tickets. Also, they’ll not get any refund after this grace period.
- Additionally, if the flyer cancels their flight within 24 hours, they are entitled to get a refund from the airline.
- The airline issues e-credits for the full value of their reservation. These e-Credits can be redeemed for booking a new flight in the future.
Delta Cancellation Policy For Refundable Ticket Types
- Purchasing a refundable ticket is always a good choice and it is highly beneficial when it comes to changing or canceling it.
- However, these ticket types are a bit expensive in comparison to the non-refundable tickets.
- As per Delta Airlines Cancellation policy, you can cancel your refundable flight ticket anytime before the scheduled departure of your flight.
- Moreover, you’ll get a full refund from the airline, if you cancel your trip with Delta Airlines.
- You don’t have to pay any cancellation fee for canceling your refundable tickets. However, you must pay the extra fare for your new destination, along with the additional fees and taxes.
- In addition, purchasing a refundable flight ticket is only beneficial if you are not sure about your plan.
- If you are sure that you’ll not change or cancel your flight ticket, then you can go for a non-refundable flight ticket as well.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Policy For Non-Refundable Ticket Type
- For the Non-Refundable tickets, the flight cancellation policy of Delta Airlines is different.
- As per the cancellation policy for these ticket types, you will not get a complete refund from the airline for canceling your ticket.
- If you cancel your non-refundable ticket then the airline will charge a cancellation fee.
- Moreover, you’ll get your refund in the form of credits. These credits can be used for booking flights in the future.
- The cancellation fees for non-refundable ticket type depends on your itinerary type.
Note: The credits you get after canceling your non-refundable ticket are valid for one year only. Hence, you must use your credits before they expire
Delta Award Ticket Cancellation Policy
If you have a Delta Award ticket, then here are some important points that you must know about the cancellation policy of Delta Award Tickets.
- You can cancel your Delta Award tickets for travel within the U.S. without paying any cancellation fees to the airline.
- In addition, award tickets originating outside the U.S. must be canceled at least 24 hours before the departure for a fee of $150, regardless of your destination and fare type.
- However, this fee is waived for all the Diamond Medallion and SkyMiles Platinum members.
- After canceling the award ticket, your remaining miles used for flight reservations will be re-deposited into your account.
Ways To Cancel Delta Airlines Flight Ticket
Delta Airlines offers both online and offline options to cancel a Delta Flight ticket. So, passengers can select any of these options according to their convenience.
Cancel Delta Flight Online
Canceling a travel ticket online with Delta is an easy option. You can follow the given instructions to cancel your reservation online.
- Firstly, go to the Delta Airlines official website and then go to the Delta Airlines Manage Booking section.
- Now, enter your first and last name along with your booking reference number to retrieve your flight details.
- Once you log into your account, you’ll get a list of all your flight reservations. Select the flight that you wish to cancel.
- Next, initiate the cancellation request by paying the cancellation fee.
- After canceling your flight, you’ll get the refund in the original form of your payment method.
Note- The refund that you’ll get will be credited to your account within 7-10 working days.
Delta Flight Cancellation Over the Phone
- If you don’t prefer canceling your flight online, then you can cancel it by reaching out to the Delta Airlines executive.
- With this method, you can call the airline representative to seek their assistance in canceling your flight.
- Firstly, call the agent at 1 (800) 221-1212 and once your call gets connected with the representative, share your details with them to cancel your flight.
- They will cancel your flight using your details on your behalf.
- Now, pay the cancellation fee (if any) to confirm the cancellation.
- Once your flight is canceled, the airline will provide a refund to your account (If you are eligible).
Note: You must keep all your details and documents handy while canceling your travel ticket over a phone call.
Delta Flight Cancellation at the Airport
- If you don’t find the above two options suitable for you, then you can cancel your flight at the airport as well.
- You can cancel your flight ticket up to three hours prior to the scheduled departure of your flight.
- All you have to do is visit the departure airport and go to the ticket counter of Delta Airlines.
- Now, share your confirmation code or your PNR with the Delta Airlines executive.
- Next, pay the cancellation fee to the agent if any.
- The representative will cancel your ticket and will initiate the refund procedure.
- You’ll receive your refund in your account within the next 7 -10 business days.
How to Cancel a Delta Award Ticket?
- Passengers can cancel their Delta Award ticket through their SkyMiles account.
- All they have to do is log into their SkyMiles account and retrieve their flight details by clicking the ‘Modify Flight’ option.
- After that, they need to follow the on-screen instructions to cancel their Delta Award ticket.
- Also, their miles will be refunded to their accounts within 24 hours of travel ticket.
Delta Airlines Cancellation Fees
Yes, Delta Airlines charges fees for canceling the flight of a passenger. However, the amount depends upon the ticket type purchased by the flyer and when they cancel it. The ticket types include:
- Refundable Flight Tickets are the most flexible ticket type.
- Non-Refundable Flight Tickets have the most restrictive fare type.
- Basic Economy Flight Tickets are the most restrictive ones.
Note: Flyers must ensure that they cancel their flight before its departure. The below table is a snapshot of how much fee Delta Airlines charges for canceling the flight of a traveler depending on their fare type.
|Basic Economy Ticket
|During 24-Hours (Risk-Free Cancellation Period)
|After 24-Hours Risk-Free Cancellation Period)
|The remaining amount minus $99-$199(Cancellation Fees)
|The remaining amount minus $0-$400 (Cancellation Fees)
|Within 24 Hours of Flight Departure
|The remaining amount minus $99-$199(Cancellation Fees)
|The remaining amount minus $0-$400 (Cancellation Fees)
How to Avoid Paying Delta Cancellation Fees
Here are some tips that you can consider if you want to avoid the Delta Airlines Cancellation Fees:
- Use Delta’s 24-hour risk-free policy- Delta Airlines allows passengers to cancel their cancellation charges if they cancel their flight ticket within 24 hours of purchasing the flight ticket. This policy allows the flyers to cancel their flight regardless of their fare type.
- Buy a refundable fare– Another way to avoid the cancelation charges is to purchase a refundable flight ticket. If you have a refundable travel ticket, then you can cancel it without paying any cancellation charges.
- Hold a Delta Medallion Elite status- You can skip paying the flight cancellation fees if you hold a Delta Medallion Elite status. All the Platinum, Diamond, and Gold members enjoy special fee waivers on their award tickets.
- Keep an eye on flight schedule changes– You can qualify for a fee waiver for Delta flight tickets if the flight is delayed for more than 2 hours, flight cancellation, and changes in routes. Therefore, you must keep your eyes on the flight changes.
What Does Delta Airlines Refund Policy State?
The ticket type of a passenger decides whether they are eligible for a refund or not. Delta Airlines offers refunds to its passengers in both forms – Cash and e-credits. Here are some of the important things that every flyer must know about Delta Airlines Flight cancellation policy.
- Free 24-hour cancellations and refunds- According to Delta Airlines flight refund policy, if the flyer cancels their flight ticket within 24 hours, then they’ll receive a full refund to their original form of payment. Also, they don’t have to do anything other than cancel their air ticket.
- Refundable tickets- If the traveler has purchased a refundable, then they can cancel their ticket any time before the departure of their flight and receive a full refund in the original form of payment. Once they cancel the flight ticket, they need to make an online refund request with Delta Airlines.
- Non-refundable tickets- Non-refundable ticket types don’t qualify for a cash refund, but they can get e-credits for the remaining value of their ticket. They can redeem their e-credits within their validity period to get another flight ticket on Delta Airlines.
How To Apply For a Delta Refund Request?
You can apply for a refund online after canceling your flight with Delta Airlines. Here are the simple instructions mentioned below to apply for a Delta Refund Request.
- Firstly, visit the official website of Delta Airlines.
- Now, go to your ‘My Trip’ section and log into your account using your last name and booking reference number.
- Now, select your flight and tap on the Cancel Flight option.
- After that follow the on-screen instructions to submit the Delta refund request.
Note: Delta Airlines will refund your amount in your account within 7-10 working days.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Delta have a cancellation policy?
Yes, Delta Airlines has a cancellation policy that allows you to cancel the flight ticket by paying the cancellation fees. Also, Delta Airlines allows you to cancel your trip in both online and offline ways.
Can I get money if Delta cancels my flight?
Yes, you can get your money back if Delta Airlines cancels your flight. However, the Basic Economy flight tickets are non-refundable. But if Delta Airlines cancels your trip, then you are eligible for a full refund.
Can Delta non-refundable tickets be rescheduled?
Yes, you can reschedule your Delta non-refundable flight tickets. However, while rescheduling this ticket type you have to change your flight by paying the fee. This fee will depend on your travel route plus the price difference.
Can you cancel a Delta flight without penalty?
Yes, you can cancel your Delta flight without any penalty. To cancel your flight without paying the cancellation charges, then you must ensure that you are canceling your flight ticket within 24 hours of purchasing the flight ticket.
What is the difference between refundable and nonrefundable tickets on Delta?
Refundable tickets mean tickets that allow passengers to cancel their tickets and receive a refund in the original method of payment. On the other hand, non-refundable ticket types mean that if you cancel the trip, then you are not entitled to receive a cash refund on the ticket.
Can you cancel flights booked with Delta SkyMiles?
The Basic Economy Award tickets cannot be changed. However, the passengers can cancel it by paying the cancellation charges assessed in miles, which are reduced from the value of their ticket and the remaining miles balance is redeposited into their SkyMiles account.
How to cancel a Delta flight online?
You can cancel your ticket for your trip with Delta Airlines online with the help of the My Trip tool. To cancel the flight ticket online, you need to log into your My Trip account and then select the flight that you want to cancel. After that follow the other on-screen instructions to cancel the flight online.
Why can’t I cancel a Delta flight?
If you are unable to cancel your Delta flight, then there is a possibility that you have purchased a Basic Economy ticket originating from the United States and Canada as these tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable.
Can you cancel a flight booked with Delta Miles?
Yes, you can cancel a flight booked with Delta Miles. To cancel the SkyMiles Award Tickets, you must call Delta Reservations to cancel your bookings. If you have purchased your tickets with a combination of Miles and cash, then your miles will be redeposited, and cash will be returned in equivalent miles.
What happens to Delta miles if you cancel?
If you have canceled the ticket that you purchased using your Delta SkyMiles, then these miles will be re-deposited into your SkyMiles account after being deducted from the value of your ticket as cancellation charges.
Can I get a refund if I cancel my flight?
Yes, you’ll get a refund if you cancel your flight with Delta Airlines. However, the refund you’ll get from the airline depends on your fare type
How to avoid Delta cancelation fees?
There are various ways to avoid the cancellation fees on Delta Airlines. You can avoid the cancellation charges either by canceling it within 24 hours of purchasing it or by purchasing a refundable ticket.
How much does Delta compensate for canceled flights?
As per Delta Airlines cancellation policy, if any ticket gets canceled less than 14 days before its departure, then the passenger is eligible for compensation from Delta Airlines. Usually, the airline compensates up to $700 if the flight gets canceled from their end.
Can I get compensation for a Cancelled flight Delta?
Yes, you can get compensation for a canceled Delta flight. If your flight gets canceled, then the airline will either compensate you with a full refund or by booking another flight without any additional charges.
Does Delta give you a full refund?
Yes, Delta Airlines gives you a full refund. But the only condition is that you must cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchasing your travel ticket. So, if you fulfill this condition, then you are eligible for a full refund.
What is the Delta cancellation fee?
According to Delta Airlines’ flight cancellation policy, if the passenger cancels the flight during the risk-free period which is 24 hours, then they don’t have to pay the cancellation charges, But once the risk-free period is over, they need to pay a cancellation fee between 499-$199.
What does Delta Airlines cancellation policy state?
As per Delta Airlines flight cancellation policy, passengers can cancel their bookings within 24 hours for free. However, after the grace period is over travelers need to pay the cancellation charges to cancel their flight ticket.
How do I know if my Delta flight ticket is refundable?
If you want to know whether your flight ticket is refundable or not then you must read the refund section of the Delta Airline. Also, you have to check whether Delta Airlines is offering a full refund or deducting some amount. If it is a Partial refund type then it will not be a refundable ticket. Then you need to search for full refundable flight tickets.
How many hours before a Delta flight ticket can be canceled?
According to the 24-Hour Risk-Free Cancellation, flight tickets can be canceled 24 hours before departure. The best part is that if you cancel your flight 24 hours before departure then you do not need to pay any cancellation fee.
What happens if the flight is canceled by the Delta Airlines?
If your flight has been canceled by Delta Airlines, you will get notified on your phone or by mail on behalf of the airline in advance. In addition, you will also get free food, accommodations till your next flight, free drinks, and phone calls. You will get your refund if you are not accepting the alternate flight either in e-credit or in the original form of payment based on your ticket plan.
How do I check if my flight with Delta is canceled?
If you want to check whether your flight with Delta Airlines is canceled or not, then you can use the Delta flight checker. This flight checker feature will help you in checking the current status of your flight online. Also, If the airlines have canceled your flight, then you will get a notification on your phone or mail before the departure time.
What rights do I have if my flight is canceled?
According to the refund policy of Delta Airlines, if Delta Airlines cancels your flight then, you are entitled to get a full refund. Also if you don’t want the refund then, you can ask Delta Airlines to rebook another flight for you for the same destination. Delta Airlines will rebook another flight for you without any penalty.