Canceling a flight can be a challenging task as travelers often get confused about the rules and regulations. They fear losing the full value of the ticket. But, United Airlines is transparent in its cancellation policy. United Airlines Cancellation Policy applies to all eligible fares purchased from the official platforms of the airline. The airline charges a small cancellation fee and travelers with either refundable or non-refundable fares can save dollars by understanding it. Passengers can get a full refund if they act according to the United Airlines Cancellation Policy.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy – An Overview
Below are the key highlights of the updated 2024 United Airlines Cancellation Policy that you need to take care of before starting the flight cancellation process. Read out these points:
- With the United Cancellation Fee, you can cancel your flight anytime you want.
- Most of the United Airlines Fares can be cancelled for free but you may be required to pay $200 to $400 on some Fares.
- As per United Airlines 24 Hours Cancellation Policy, you are allowed to cancel any type of fare that is booked 7 days before the departure and cancel within 24 hours of booking for free.
- The airline is not responsible for the tickets booked via a third-party agent which means you can only cancel a flight that is booked with directly United Airlines.
- United Airlines offers refunds only on refundable flight tickets. You will get credit points as a refund on non-refundable flight tickets.
- If there are some credit points included in your refundable flight tickets then you need to contact the Airline’s live person directly.
- If your flight is cancelled by the airline then also you can request a refund.
- All types of fares require a United Cancellation Fee on canceling a flight on the same day of the departure.
- If you have booked a flight ticket via vouchers or gift cards and you cancel it then you will get e-credits or future credits.
- The full value of the flight ticket will be forfeited if you fail to check in as per United Airlines’ no-show policy.
United Cancellation Policy by Fare Type
As per United Airlines Cancellation Policy, passengers are allowed to cancel a flight for free if they complete the cancellation process within 24 hours of booking. Except for this rule, there are some other rules as per fare that you will learn below: So, check out the written policies below as per your fare type.
Basic Economy Ticket
- United Basic Economy Ticket can only be canceled within 24 hours of booking as per United Airlines 24-Hour Cancellation Policy.
- The ticket must be purchased 7 days before the departure and cancelled within 24 hours of booking.
- United Airlines non-refundable domestic flight ticket will cost you $200 and $400 for international non-refundable tickets as a United Cancellation Fee.
- The cancellation fee is applied for passengers who cancel a flight outside the 24-hour window.
- If you cancel a flight ticket and book a new flight that is less expensive than the previous then you can use the remaining value on booking a future flight ticket.
- You can get a full refund in some cases such as the death of a passenger or his/her near relative, serious injury, or government or military orders.
- To avail of the refund benefit on the non-refundable flight ticket, you will be required to provide valid supporting documents.
Refundable Flight Tickets
- As per United Airlines Cancellation Policy, you can cancel a United Airlines Refundable flight ticket for free.
- If you fail to cancel a Refundable flight ticket within 24 hours timeframe then you may be required to pay $400 for domestic flights and $200 for international flights.
- The airline will deduct the United Cancellation Fee from the ticket value and the remaining value will be credited to the original form of payment.
- Same-day cancellation will cost you $75 if you are a general, united, or silver member.
- The cancellation fee of the same day is waived if you are an Elite or Gold member.
- United Award Ticket Cancellation: The cost of canceling your award ticket and getting your miles back with United Airlines can vary based on your status with the airline. The price difference could be significant depending on your membership level.
- As per the United Airlines Refund Policy of 2024, if you cancel a United Award Ticket before 31 days of the departure then you will not be required to pay any cancellation fee. Also, you will get the full value in the actual form of payment.
- Depending on the status of a passenger with United Airlines, if they cancel an award fare within 30 days of the departure, they will need to pay $50 to 125.
- As per United Missed Flight Policy, if you missed the flight and want to get back your miles, you will need to pay $125 for it.
- Regular and Silver members need to pay $75 for same-day cancellation.
- Same-day cancellation fee is waived for gold and elite members.
- United Premier 1k members can cancel their flight tickets for free if the cancellation process is completed 61 days before the departure.
United Airlines 24 hour Cancellation
As per United Airlines 24-hour cancellation policy, passengers will get free cancellation on canceling a flight ticket within 24 hours of booking. Also, there must be a difference of 7 days between your departure date and flight ticket booking date. This policy is valid for every fare of United Airlines including the award fares.
United Cancellation Policy for Unplanned Events
United Airlines considers the following scenarios as unplanned events.
- Death of a family member or travel companion.
- Major illness of the companion or family member.
- Unable to fly due to military orders.
In the case of the above events, flyers can request a full refund to the original payment source from United Airlines. However, they have to provide valid proof to support the claim.
- Military Orders: Traveler must submit a copy of the order of flight cancellation.
- Illness: Passengers should provide a medical certificate from a licensed doctor. If the cancellation is due to the illness of a close relative, then enter the name of the person and relation in the medical certificate.
- Death: Must submit the death certificate.
When and Which Tickets Can be Cancelled?
There are 4 different types of fares available at United Airlines and all have different cancellation policies. Below are the details given by which you will be able to know the cancellation eligibility of the fares along with their allowed cancellation time.
Cancellation Under 24 Hours of Booking
- Including Basic Economy Fares, all fares are eligible for cancellation at United Airlines.
- A Flight must be booked with United Airlines directly and 7 days before the departure.
- The refund will be credited to the original form of payment.
Cancellation After 24 Hours Timeframe
Basic Economy: You are not allowed to cancel it after 24 hours timeframe.
Non-refundable Fare: You cannot get the refund value in cash. The airline will provide you the credit points in your United Airlines account that you can use in future travel bookings.
Refundable Fare: Before the flight, you can cancel it anytime but you will require some cancellation fee.
Award Fare: You can even redeposit miles for a fee of $125 or use it in future bookings.
Terms and Conditions
- The United Airlines Cancellation policy is valid for those passengers who have purchased the tickets directly from United Airlines, not any third-party agent or third-party website.
- The United Airlines 24-hour cancellation policy will start after you get the confirmation mail of your flight booking.
- The refund will be credited to the original form of payment.
- The 24-hour cancellation policy is not valid for United Airlines group travel booking and vacation packages.
- Cash refunds are not available for tickets booked with miles, vouchers, or e-credits.
- The airline will deduct the cancellation fee from the cost of the flight ticket and you will get the remaining amount in the original form of payment.
Cancellation or Change – What is Better?
If you know the future travel dates then it will be best to change the flight. it is because, if you cancel a flight then you may be required to pay the cancellation fee. When it comes to changing a flight, the airline will only ask you for the fare difference.
How To Cancel A United Flight?
Flights operated by United Airlines can be cancelled via both online and offline modes. Check out the step-by-step instructions written below.
United Airlines Official Website
- Step 1 – Search for united.com.
- Step 2 – When you open it, navigate to the United Airlines Manage Booking (my trips) section.
- Step 3 – To get access to your trip, you will need to provide the passenger’s last name and the booking confirmation number.
- Step 4 – When you enter the My Trip section, click on the search icon and search for the flight you want to cancel.
- Step 5 – Click on the flight & then click on the cancel button.
- Step 6 – After that, you will be redirected to the new page, where you must confirm your decision regarding the flight cancellation by clicking on the OK button.
United Airlines Mobile App
- Use the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to install the United Mobile App on your device.
- Open the application and reach out to the My Trips section.
- Use your last name and booking confirmation code to enter the My Trip Section.
- Search for the flight you want to cancel by hitting the search icon.
- Click on that flight and click on the cancel button.
- At last, you have to click on the confirm button to cancel your United Airlines Flight Ticket.
United Airlines Customer Service
- Dial 1-800-548-3192 to speak to a live person at united airlines.
- Follow the on-call automated voice menu, and then you will connect with the United Airlines executive.
- Tell your needs to the expert, and then they will ask for some required documents of the passenger.
- Please provide all the documents then the live person will start the United Airlines Cancellations process simultaneously.
- Pay the charges if required.
- After the documentation or payment process, your ticket will be canceled.
Live Person at Airport Counter
- Head to the airport 3 hours before the scheduled time of your flight.
- Go to the United Airlines Service helpdesk and communicate with the representative.
- Ask them for the cancellation and provide them with your documents.
- After providing all the documents, they will start the cancellation process.
- Depending on the time, you may or may not need to pay the charges.
Steps To Rebook Your United Airlines Flight
Rebooking can be done only on a cancelled flight ticket. To make the rebooking easier, follow the steps written below:
- Reach out to the United Airlines official website and sign in to your account.
- You need to make sure that the fare you are going to rebook is already canceled.
- On the list, tap on the canceled flight ticket.
- Now click on the new flight.
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Tap on the rebook flight option.
- Provide the new details.
- After that, click on the rebooking option and pay the fare difference if any.
Steps To Use United Future Flight Credit For Rebooking
On canceling a non-refundable flight ticket, the airline will give you future flight credit as a refund that you can use to book or rebook your future trip. Here are the steps you need to know for using miles or credit to rebook a flight.
- Navigate to the United Future Flight Credit search tool to make sure that you have the required number of miles.
- After that, redeem the miles.
- Once you redeem the miles, you can follow the normal flight booking steps.
- Just use miles to complete the payment process.
Steps To Change Your Flight Instead of Cancellation
Here are the easy steps to change a flight as per United Airlines Change Flight Policy:
- Open the official website or mobile app.
- Login to your account.
- Choose the “Change flight” option.
- Choose a new flight and then you will see the fare difference.
- Proceed with the on-screen instructions and at last, you will receive the confirmation mail.
Can I cancel a United flight booked with points?
The Flight cancellation process for normal fare that is booked via cash and award fare is the same. The difference is, that you will get your United Airlines Credit points back as a refund and you will be required to pay the United Cancellation fee in real currency. United Airlines does not allow you to pay the cancellation fee with virtual currency.
Eligible and Non-Eligible Tickets For Cancellation
In this section, you will get to know about the fares that are eligible or not eligible for cancellation as per United Airlines Cancellation Policy. So, check out the eligibility as per different fare types.
Basic Economy Tickets
As per the United Cancellation Policy, if you cancel your flight ticket outside the 24-hour risk-free window, the whole amount of your flight ticket will be forfeited. It means you will not get a refund.
You will not get a refund for canceling a non-refundable flight ticket. On the cancellation of non-refundable fares, the Airline will provide you with e-credits and flight credits that you can even use in your future bookings. Additionally, you should remember that the e-credits and credit points provided by the airline have their expiry dates.
Refundable fares are fully refundable which allows you to obtain the refund as cash if you cancel a trip within 24 hours risk-free timeframe. If you fail to check in, the airline will apply a no-show policy on you and your flight ticket will automatically be canceled. In this situation, you may be required to wait with the standby passengers. The airline will provide you if there is any seat left.
If you cancel an Award Ticket, the Airline will provide the refund in the actual form of payment but the no-show policy will be applied to you.
United Airlines Refund Policy – Key Highlights
According to United Airlines Refund policy, flyers are allowed to request a refund for the unused portion of their ticket. To request a refund, travelers must be aware of the various guidelines of the United Airlines Refund Policy. Here are some of the important points that every passenger must know about this policy:
- According to United Airlines Refund policy, all flyers are eligible for a full refund if they cancel their ticket within 24 hours of purchasing their air ticket.
- Moreover, Basic Economy flight tickets can not be refunded after 24 hours of purchase.
- Also, the flyers will get the amount refunded back to their accounts in the original form of their payment.
- In addition, if the ticket is purchased via a credit card, the refund will be reflected in the account of the traveler within 7 business days. Whereas, if the payment is made through other modes, then the refund will be shown in their accounts within 20 working days.
- If the passengers are eligible for a refund, then they’ll get their refund either in the form of cash or credits.
- If the traveler has a non-refundable fare, then they might not be eligible for a voluntary refund. But the fare value of their ticket will be converted into credits which can be used for future travel.
- Furthermore, the amount of the refund depends on various factors. The refund for the partially used ticket is calculated on a prorated basis. Also, other cancellation fees and taxes will be applicable as per the United Airlines rules.
How to Get a Refund for a Cancelled Flight?
- After canceling the United Airlines flight ticket the first next question that arises in a traveler’s mind is how to get or apply for a refund. So, after canceling the flight ticket, flyers can ask for a refund as follows:
– Fill out the refund form from the ‘My Trip’ section.
– United Airlines will inform or contact you if you qualify for a refund.
- Additionally, the amount of the refund depends on the fare type of the passenger and the reason for the cancellation of the flight. In some cases, passengers will get their refund in the original form of their payment, but sometimes they get flight credits that can be used for future trips.
Get a Refund with United Airlines Travel Insurance
If you have utilized all the methods to get the refund on the canceled flight and they didn’t work then you can use your Travel Insurance which might help you out. Travel Insurance comes up with loads of benefits and covers almost 80-90& of your travel-related issues. Also, it covers the cancellations. So, you can use your Travel Insurance and get your money back.
United Airlines Travel Insurance Covered Reasons
- Trip cancellation
- Flight Delay
- Accidental death
- Baggage Loss
- Baggage Delay
- Emergency medical coverage
Steps To Request A Refund on Cancelled Tickets
- Passengers need to visit the United Airlines Official Site first.
- Now head to the United Airlines Refund section.
- Here, there are a total of 2 different sections in which you must enter your personal information in section A.
- Now click on the add flight button.
- In section B, Select the item.
- To get the refund, you must enter the ticket confirmation number and the last name you provided while booking a ticket.
- Again tap on the add flight button then you can view all the information you recently provided while filling out the refund form.
- Next to the first flight option, you will see an arrow. Click on that and check out the “My purchase isn’t listed.”
- In “My purchase isn’t listed,” you must fill up the item’s name to list. For example, if you want to record the flight ticket, type “Flight.”
- In sections C or 3, you must provide the reason for canceling the flight ticket.
- Attach some required supporting documents, such as a medical or death certificate.
- At last, you need to click on the confirm button to end the process. After that, you will be notified by United Airlines if you are eligible to get a refund.
What to Do If United Airlines Has Canceled Your Flight?
If your flight ticket is canceled by United Airlines due to any unforeseen circumstances, you will automatically be rebooked on the other available flight and the airline will let you know via sending a notification to the registered mobile number or email address. If you are not comfortable with the new time and new flight, you can cancel the flight and ask the airline to provide you with a full refund. You can fill up the refund form by yourself via the official website or mobile app or dial the official United Airlines Phone Number.
United Flight Cancellation Number
The United Flight Cancellation Number is 800-864-8331. When you dial the number, the Live person will instantly connect with you. You can ask them for cancellation. The Live person will complete the cancellation process on your behalf. You just need to provide the required details when they ask. At last, complete the payment process and then you will receive the confirmation mail on the registered mobile number and email address.
United Cancellation Fee
Check out the given table to learn the United Cancellation Fee according to the time of flight cancellation.
|For Premier 1k members
|For Premier Platinum members
|For Premier Gold members
|For Premier Silver members
|For General members
|Within 24 hours risk-free timeframe
|Before 31 days or more of departure day
|Within 30 days of departure day
Cancellation fee on canceling a flight ticket 61 days before the departure
Here is a table that will help you learn the United Airlines Award ticket cancellation fee as per the United Airlines Memberships.
|United Airlines Membership Type
|United Cancellation Fee
|Platinum and 1k members
|Silver and Regular members
Cancellation fee on canceling a flight ticket within 60 days or before the departure
|United Airlines Membership Type
|United Cancellation Fee
Tips to Avoid United Cancellation Fee
If you want to avoid the cancellation charges on United Airlines, then you must consider these tips before canceling your trip.
● To avoid the cancellation fees you must purchase a fully refundable fare.
● Also, you can cancel your ticket within the 24-hour grace period. You cancel your ticket for free within this risk-free period.
● You can earn the United Airlines elite status to cancel your reservation without any penalty.
● If you cancel your flight due to any unavoidable emergency, then you can ask the airline to provide you a refund and that’s how you can also eliminate the cancellation fees on United Airlines
United Airlines Compensation for Cancelled Flight
Yes, United Airlines provides compensation to passengers if their flight gets canceled due to the airline’s fault. They will get the following compensation from United Airlines:
|Below 1500 Km
|Below 1500- 3500 Km
|Above 3500 Km
Frequently Asked Questions
What is United’s cancellation policy?
The United Airlines Cancellation Policy depends on the type of fare you have purchased. As per the United Cancellation Policy, if you cancel a flight within 24 hours of risk-free time, you will get a full refund. Also, you need to remember that, Basic Economy fares are not eligible for refund if you cancel it outside the risk-free timeframe. You can cancel an Award fare but you will get the refund in the original form of payment.
Does United pay you if they cancel your flight?
If your flight ticket is canceled by the airline due to any unforeseen circumstance, you will be eligible for a full refund. Instead of cancellation, you can either rebook it for free. But, you may require to pay the fare difference if the new flight is expensive. If it is less expensive than the previous one, you will get the remaining amount in the original form of payment.
Can I cancel my United flight without a cancellation fee?
Yes, with the help of a 24-hour flight cancellation policy, you can cancel your United Airlines flight without paying any fees. However, after this risk-free period, you’ll be required to pay the cancellation charges.
Can I cancel a United flight after booking?
Yes, you can cancel your United Airlines flight after booking it. You have both online and offline options to cancel your reservation. The airline allows you to cancel your ticket either directly from the official website or with the help of an airline executive. Now, it is your choice which mode you want to select for flight cancellation.
How much is the cancelation fee Of United Airlines?
According to United Airlines flight cancellation if any passenger cancels their flight within 24 hours they don’t have to pay the cancellation fee. But if they cancel their ticket after 24 hours they are required to pay the cancellation fee which depends upon the route and the time remaining for the flight departure.
Can I cancel my flight with United Airlines and get a refund?
If you want a refund on the United Airlines canceled flight, you have to do this within 24hrs timeframe. After 24 hours of booking, you can cancel your ticket, but you will have to pay cancellation charges. Additionally, you may need help to claim a complete refund.
Can I cancel my United Airlines flight without penalty?
Yes, you can cancel your United Airlines flight without penalty. But you have to cancel the flight within 24 hours time frame. After the airline will apply some charges for cancellation.
How long do I have to cancel my United Airlines flight without a cancellation charge?
If you want to cancel your flight without paying the cancellation charges then, you must cancel your flight within 24 hours. Moreover, if you have booked your flight ticket directly with United Airlines, you will get seven days in advance to cancel your bookings.
What does United owe you if they cancel your flight?
If United Airlines cancels your flight due to bad weather, mechanical issues, or any other issue they will get you a full refund. Furthermore, if you don’t want the refund you can ask United Airlines to rebook another flight for the same destination.
Am I eligible for a full refund if I cancel my flight after 24-hours?
The answer is NO.If you are canceling your flight after 24 hours your are not eligible to get a full refund.United Airlines only provides a full refund to those flyers who cancel their reservation within 24 hours of their flight booking.
Does United reimburse for canceled flights?
Yes, United Airlines reimburses for canceled flights. If your flight gets canceled from the airline’s end, then you have the option to claim a refund or ask the airline to book another alternative flight at no additional cost.
What is a fully refundable ticket on United?
Fully refundable is a type of ticket on United Airlines. This fare type allows the flyer to cancel their flight at any time. After canceling the flight ticket, passengers can claim a full refund. The refund amount will be reflected in their account within 7-20 working days.
Can you cancel a United Airlines flight within 24 hours?
Yes, you can cancel your United Airlines flight ticket within 24 hours. If you cancel your flight within this grace period, then you are eligible to claim a full refund from United Airlines.
Does United Airlines give credit for Cancelled flights?
Yes, United Airlines gives eCredits for a canceled flight. You can use these eCredits for future trips with United Airlines. These eCredits are valid for one year from the date of issue of the original ticket or as stated on the ticket.
Does United have cancellation fees?
Yes, United Airlines charges cancellation fees. However, this fee applies after 24 hours of purchasing the travel ticket. So, to avoid or eliminate the flight cancellation fees, you must cancel the flight within this risk-free period.
How much money will I lose if I cancel my United Airlines flight?
If your plans have changed, then you can cancel your flights, but you will lose some money after canceling your ticket. Usually, you’ll lose around $50 to $200 depending on your route.
Can I cancel United Airlines Basic Economy Tickets?
No. United Airlines Basic Economy tickets cannot be changed or canceled. These are the most restrictive fares on United. Only in the risk-free period, travelers can cancel their Basic Economy fares and claim a full refund.
What is the United Airlines Award Flight Cancellation Policy?
Travelers can cancel their award flight booking for free if they choose to cancel 31 days before departure. If a traveler cancels within 30 days, then they have to pay the cancellation fee according to their tier status. The cancellation fee will be between $0 to $125.