Booking a flight ticket with Lufthansa will give you a smooth travel experience. Whatever the problem, a Lufthansa Live representative will walk you through the process step by step. Here in this guide, you will learn about how to cancel a Lufthansa flight ticket according to the Lufthansa Cancellation Policy. In some situations, you can cancel your flight for free, but sometimes you may need to pay charges. If you don’t know the conditions for canceling a flight ticket, you may have to face many hurdles. So, check out the conditions along with the required fees to pay for the cancellation at Lufthansa Airlines.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Policy
- If you booked a flight that will depart on or after 7 days, you must cancel it within 24 hours of the booking time to receive a full refund according to Lufthansa Cancellation Policy.
- If there is a weather issue or something unexpected and your flight ticket is cancelled by Lufthansa Airlines itself, you are eligible to get a full refund.
- If your flight is delayed for 2 to 5 hours, you can cancel it and request a complete refund.
- Refundable flight tickets to any location are eligible for a full refund.
- If you are suffering from COVID-19, then the airline will allow you to apply for a full refund.
- If you don’t fall under the 24-hour timeframe for cancellation, then you will need to pay $200 as cancellation charges.
- If your flight ticket is unused, you can change your flight to another available flight within 365 days as per the Lufthansa Airlines Flight Change Policy.
- A no-show will be marked against you if you don’t reach the airport at the time of boarding.
- If you apply for a cancellation of a non-refundable flight ticket, the airline will charge you taxes and surcharges, and you will get the refund in credit points that you can use on other bookings.
- You need to cancel your reservation before departure.
- The flight cancellation fees or other taxes will be deducted from the value of the refund.
- All kinds of fares at Lufthansa Airlines are acceptable for cancellation.
- You are eligible for reimbursement in some cases only.
Lufthansa 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
- If you cancel a flight ticket after 24 hours of the booking, the airline will ask you for the cancellation charges, and you may not get a refund because it will depend on the type of fare you have.
- If you cancel a flight ticket seven days prior to the departure, then you will be eligible to claim a full refund.
- All fares are eligible for cancellation within a 24-hour period.
- Tickets booked with Lufthansa Club Points are not eligible to be cancelled within 24 hours.
- The 24-hour cancellation policy does not apply to group reservations.
- Both non-refundable and refundable flight tickets are eligible for a refund if they are cancelled within 24 hours of the booking.
- If your departure date is 7 days or more away, you will not be charged any taxes or surcharges if you cancel within 24 hours.
- To request a refund online, you must visit Lufthansa Airlines Manage Booking section.
Lufthansa Covid-19 Cancellation Policy
- For passengers suffering from COVID, Lufthansa Airlines will not ask you for any change or cancellation fees.
- If you cancel your flight ticket due to COVID, the airline will consider your ticket still valid, and you can use the price of that ticket to make other bookings.
- It is free to rebook a Lufthansa Airlines flight ticket in the same cabin class.
Lufthansa Flight Cancellation Fees
- If you cancel your flight ticket after 24 hours, Lufthansa Airlines cancellation charges apply to both non-refundable and refundable fares. Check out the points below to learn about the charges and situations that will require cancellation fees.
- If your situation does not match the Lufthansa Airlines Cancellation Policy, you will be charged $200 or more, depending on the fare type and distance.
- If you cancel your flight ticket within 24 hours of the booking, you will be charged.
- You have to pay cash as cancellation charges for non-refundable fares, and you will get the credit points as a refund.
- Credit points can be used by the non-refundable flight ticket holder for 365 days.
- When you pay the cancellation charges, the airline will send you the rest of the ticket value as a refund in the original form of payment.
Cancellation Fees By Lufthansa Fares
|Fare Type||Cancellation Cost|
|Secure Your Fare||$60|
|Economy Basic Plus I||$300|
|Business Basic Plus II||$500|
|Premium Economy Basic Plus II||$500|
|First Basic Plus||$500|
|First Basic Plus II||$750|
Ways To Cancel Lufthansa Flight
You can cancel your Lufthansa flight both online and offline and apply for a refund.
Lufthansa Cancellation via the official site (Online Method)
1. Open any browser that you have on your device and then search for Lufthansa Airlines’ official site.
2. Click on the Login button, which is located at the top of the screen.
3. Login to your Lufthansa Airlines account.
4. Go to the Manage Bookings option.
5. Login with your last name and booking reference number.
6. After logging in, go to the Change and Cancel option.
7. Choose the flight that you want to cancel and provide a valid reason.
8. Click on the “Continue” button and pay the penalty if required.
Cancellation through Live Person at Lufthansa
If you booked your flight ticket through the live representative on call, you can also cancel your flight ticket using the same method. Dial the toll-free number to speak to a live person at Lufthansa Airlines. All you need to do is ask them for the cancellation, and then they will ask you for the necessary details with your booking reference code. Provide them with all the details, and then within a minute If your situation doesn’t match the terms and conditions of Lufthansa Airlines, then you will need to pay the charges. Pay for the charges using the available methods of payment.
Lufthansa Airlines Refund Policy and Eligibility
- A request for a refund on a cancelled flight ticket can be made according to the type of fare you had.
- According to the Lufthansa Airlines Cancellation Policy, you must be eligible for a refund. You can check online if you are eligible or not.
- If you used the flight ticket, then the airline will deduct the charges from the original value of the refund.
- You will get a refund using the payment method you used when making the reservation.
- The refund process will take 20 days.
- If there are a lot more refund requests, then it may take more time to get you the refund. If you have any confusion or are worried that you have not gotten the refund even after 20 days, you can directly ask the live person at Lufthansa Airline on call.
- If you are suffering from COVID-19 disease, then you can show the report to the airline, and they will get you a complete refund even without deducting any taxes or surcharges.
Check The Eligibility Of Refund & Cancellation
First, you need to open the email containing the confirmation of your reservation. In this email, you will need to take a look at the fare conditions. In the Fare Conditions, the eligibility for cancellations and refunds is mentioned.
Steps To Request A Refund on a Cancelled Flight
- Navigate to the Lufthansa Airlines Manage Booking section of the Lufthansa website.
- Fill in the valid login details and click on “enter.”
- See your booking summary and click on the flight that you want to cancel.
- Click on the “cancel” button.
- No matter whether your ticket is refundable or non-refundable, if it is purchased through the official site, in person at Lufthansa, or directly at the airport ticket counter, the refund will automatically be transferred to the original mode of payment. Also, the airline will check whether you are eligible for a refund or not.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to cancel a Lufthansa flight?
You can cancel your Lufthansa Airlines flight tickets and pay the charges with the same method that you used to make the reservation. Cancelling a flight ticket will cost you around $200 or more because the charge depends on the route’s distance, fare type, etc.
How do I get a full refund from Lufthansa?
According to Lufthansa’s policy on flight cancellations, passengers should be eligible for a refund. To check the eligibility, you can visit the Lufthansa Airlines official site and sign in to the Manage Booking section, or you can check it on the booking confirmation email. You will receive a full refund, including any fees if you cancel a flight scheduled to depart on or after 7 days within 24 hours of booking.
How long will it take to get a refund from Lufthansa?
At Lufthansa Airlines, the refund process will take 20 days. If there are a lot more requests for refunds, then it may take more time. If you have any sort of issue related to a refund, then you can communicate with the live person at Lufthansa, and they will assist you on call.
How do I know if my flight is fully refundable?
While booking your flight tickets on the official site, when you click on the flight of your choice, all the details of the ticket will display on the screen, and you will know whether your flight ticket is refundable or not. If you are making a reservation offline, you can ask the live representative directly. You can also check the ticket details on the booking confirmation email. On some airline sites, there are filters attached when you search for a flight ticket. Use the filter to display only refundable tickets.
Can I cancel a Lufthansa flight and get a refund?
Yes, you can cancel your flight with Lufthansa Airlines and get a full refund if you have canceled your booking within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket. The ticket cancellation reimbursement also depends on the fare type conditions as well.
How can I reduce my flight cancellation charges on Lufthansa Airlines?
If you want to avoid additional charges for canceling your Lufthansa Airlines flight tickets then, you must cancel the flight within 24 hours of booking. In the mentioned timeframe, the airline will not charge you any additional costs, and you will get a full refund. Secondly, provide a valid reason for canceling the flight so that the airline will not charge you the additional charges. Third, if you are facing any medical issue, then provide the medical report as proof, which will help you get free cancellation.
Do I get compensation if Lufthansa Airlines cancels my flight?
If you cancel your ticket and your situation matches the eligibility for compensation as per the cancellation policy, you will get the compensation within 15 to 20 days. Or, if your ticket has been canceled by the airline, you will get a seat on the other flight on the same day, or you can request a refund.
What are my rights if my flight is Cancelled by Lufthansa Airlines?
If your flight ticket is canceled by the airline, they will give you a complimentary voucher with which you can purchase food and drinks. The airline will provide you with a free hotel stay as well as transportation. Also, you can apply for a refund or transfer yourself onto another available flight if you want.
Does Lufthansa offer a 24-hour cancellation policy?
Yes, Lufthansa Airlines has a 24-hour flight cancellation policy that allows travelers to cancel their booking within 24 hours of purchasing their travel ticket. If any passenger cancels their flight during this time frame, the airline will not charge any flight cancellation fee from the flyer. Also, after canceling the flight, Lufthansa Airlines will offer you a full refund.
Does Lufthansa Airlines offer compensation for passengers after canceling their flight?
Yes, Lufthansa Airlines offers compensation if the flight of any passengers gets canceled from the Airline’s end. Furthermore, if any passenger is eligible for compensation the airline compensates them with up to $700.Also, the airline usually tries to rebook another flight for the passengers for no extra fee or charges.
More on Lufthansa at Airlinesmanagebooking:
Lufthansa Airlines Pet Policy
Lufthansa Airlines First Class
Lufthansa Airlines Business Class
Lufthansa Airlines Seat Selection
Lufthansa Airlines Name Change Policy
Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Allowance