Whether going on a long-haul trip or a short trip, packing all the necessary items as per our requirements is a must so that we don’t need to purchase them again at the arrival destination. We sometimes overpack in a hurry, which causes us to fall under the “Extra Luggage” penalty. If you are unaware of the required baggage weight and the fees to pay for the extra baggage, then check out this Alaska Airlines baggage policy guide, which is completely related to your query. Here, you will learn about carry-on and checked baggage weight requirements, fees, etc. So, let us start from there.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy – Learn Conditions Before Packing Your Bags
Alaska Airlines Carry on Baggage Policy
- As per Alaska Airlines baggage policy, your carry-on baggage dimension should not be more than 22 inches by 14 inches by 9 inches.
- The allowed dimensions of carry-on baggage will also include the handles and wheels in total.
- Personal items such as a laptop bag, purse, briefcase, etc. are allowed.
- Your carry-on baggage should be able to fit in the overhead bin or under your flight seat.
- Passengers can carry their medical accessories at no extra charge.
Alaska Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
- Passengers have to pay for strollers and car seats.
- Extra luggage fees are waived if you have a Mileage Plan, are a member of the US military, or have an Alaska Credit Card.
- If your checked baggage weight or size is greater than the requirement as per the Alaska Airlines Baggage Policy, you will need to pay for the extra charges.
- If your baggage weighs between 51 and 100 pounds, the airline will count it as overweight baggage and charge you accordingly.
- Even overweight baggage should not exceed 100 pounds.
- Alaska Airlines will not accept your luggage for check-in 4 hours before the scheduled flight.
- You can send your checked luggage for checking only two hours prior to the scheduled flight.
- Whether you are traveling on a connecting flight or not, the airline will only check your luggage at the arrival destination or after 18 hours of travel.
Alaska Airlines Special Baggage Policy
- Cases of firearms can be transported as checked baggage.
- Passengers should be at least 18 years old to carry firearms.
- Firearms should be inside the hard container and not be loaded.
- In a single container, there should be more than one lock.
- Only the container owner is allowed to hold the key.
- If it is required for screening, the container owner must provide the combination of keys to the airline staff.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Size and Weight Requirements
- Carry-on luggage size should match 61 cm x 43 cm x 25 cm and should not be greater than this; otherwise, it will fall under oversized or overweight luggage.
- A total of 62 inches of dimensions are allowed for checked baggage.
- The checked baggage weight should not be more than 50 pounds.
- Checked baggage weighing between 51 and 100 pounds is considered oversized.
- Checked baggage with a total length of 63 to 115 inches is considered oversized.
Items That Are Not Allowed In Alaska Airlines Flight
- Alcohol is not allowed as carry-on luggage, but you can transport it as checked luggage.
- Electronic gadgets are not allowed in checked or carry-on luggage.
- Items for camping are not allowed in both checked and carry-on luggage.
- Electronic smoking devices are permitted as carry-on but not as checked luggage.
- Fireworks are completely restricted.
- Lithium batteries can be included in carry-on luggage, and the airline will not allow them to be transported as checked baggage.
Report Within 24 Hours When Your Bag Is Damaged
- After collecting your bag, if you notice that it is damaged, communicate with the agent and report your issue immediately.
- At the airport upon arrival, if you find your bag damaged, navigate to the airport counter and explain the issue to the live representative. They will immediately take action.
- After you report the baggage issue, you will receive a File ID through your mail section.
- You can log in to the Alaska Airlines Baggage Portal via Alaska Airlines official site to know the current status of the report you’ve filed for your damaged bag.
- When your bag is fixed, you will receive it at your place.
Alaska Airlines Baggage Fees For Economy & First Class
Checked Baggage Fees For Alaska Airlines Economy Class
- When traveling in the United States, your first checked bag will cost you $30.
- Your second checked bag will cost you $40 when traveling in the United States.
- If you have a third or more checked bags and are traveling within the United States, it will cost you $100.
- Your first, second, and third checked bags are free, but any additional checked bags cost $100 each.
- Oversized baggage will require $100 per item.
Checked Baggage Fees For Alaska Airlines First Class
- Your first and second checked bags are allowed to be transported for free.
- If you have a third or more checked bags, Alaska Airlines will charge you $100 for each checked bag.
- You are allowed to check three bags for free. Alaska Airlines will charge you $100 for each of your fourth or more checked bags.
- If your luggage exceeds 158 cm to 292 cm, it will be considered oversized, and you will be charged an additional $100 for each bag.
Apart from this, if you want to add more checked baggage to your list, you can do this via Alaska Airlines Manage Booking option. You can pay the necessary charges at the same time via the given available payment methods. Here are the steps to add baggage to your reservation via the manage booking tab;
1. Open the Alaska Airlines official site and click on the manage booking tab.
2. Enter your details and click on the Continue button.
3. Choose a flight, then click on Add Bags.
4. Provide the required details and pay the baggage charges.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Alaska Airlines give you a free checked bag?
If you travel in economy class, you will be charged for all checked baggage, but if you travel in Alaska Airlines First Class, you will not be charged for your first and second checked bags. You will just need to pay for the third and additional checked bags. Also, if you are traveling within the state of Alaska, your first, second, and third checked bags need not be charged. You just need to pay for the fourth or more checked bags.
How many bags can you bring on an Alaska flight?
The bags that you can bring inside the flight cabin are considered carry-on baggage. At Alaska Airlines, each passenger is allowed to carry two carry-on bags with no extra charges. Also, if you are traveling domestically within the state of Hawaii, your first, second, and third bags will be transported free of charge.
Does Alaska Airlines charge for bags?
If you are traveling within the state of Alaska, then you are allowed to bring three checked bags for free. In Alaska Airlines First Class, passengers are allowed to bring two checked bags for free, and you will be charged for a third or more checked bags. If your checked baggage’s size and weight are greater than the requirement, you will need to pay charges according to the overweight and oversized baggage policy.
Can I pay for baggage online Alaska?
During check-in online via the Alaska Airlines official site or Alaska Airlines mobile application, you can add baggage to your trip and pay for it at the same time. Also, there is a limit on baggage; that’s why if you have more baggage, you can add it at the airport 3 hours prior to the scheduled flight.
Is it cheaper to pay for baggage online?
If you are adding your baggage online via the Alaska Airlines official site or Alaska Airlines mobile application, it will cost you much less in comparison to purchasing baggage at the airport. If you want to avoid paying additional baggage fees, try to pack light.
How many bags are free on Alaska Airlines?
Each passenger is allowed to carry two personal items, such as laptop bags, purses (handbags), etc., for free. If you are traveling inside Alaska, then you are allowed to check three bags for free. In Alaska Airlines First Class, you are allowed to carry two checked bags for free.
What is the size limit for checked baggage?
Your checked baggage should total 62 linear inches in total. If the size exceeds more than this, you will fall under the extra-checked baggage penalty. Also, each checked bag must be 50 pounds or less; otherwise, the airline will count it under oversized or overweight checked luggage.
What happens if your suitcase is over 50 lbs Alaska Airlines?
According to Alaska Airlines’ baggage policy, if your suitcase is more than 50 pounds in weight, it will be considered overweight baggage. Overweight baggage is permitted on the flight, but you will be charged an additional $100 fee for each piece.
Can you carry on a garment bag on Alaska Airlines?
If your garment bag is able to fit under the seat in front of you or in the compartments at the upper portion of the plane, then you are allowed to carry it in the cabin. If it is unable to fold, then the airline will count it as checked baggage and charge for it accordingly.
How much does Alaska Airlines charge for checked bags?
If you travel in Alaska Airlines Economy Class, you must pay fees for each checked bag ranging from $30 to $40. If you have an Alaska Airlines First Class ticket, then two free checked bags are allowed per passenger. If you have a third bag or more, you will need to pay $100 for each bag. Oversized or overweight checked baggage also requires $100 per bag. Additionally, all checked bags are free if you are traveling within the state of Alaska, but they should not exceed the size and weight requirements.