When it comes to letting the child travel alone, parents mostly prefer to go with American Airlines. It is very obvious that we can’t let our child anywhere without safety, no matter what the situation is. American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy is the best service on which you can blindly rely. When you apply for this service, the airline will provide a tracking wristband for your child so that you and the airline can track the location continuously. Additionally, children under 17 are considered minors at American Airlines. To know more, read out the further information given below.
American Airlines Minor Policy – Important Points To Note
- A child between the ages of 5 and 14 cannot travel alone without getting unaccompanied minor service.
- 5 to 14 years of child consider minor according to American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy.
- 14 to 17-year-old children are also unaccompanied minors as per American Airlines, but they can travel alone.
- A child from 14 to 17 years of age can carry a child under 14 on the flight.
- From 14 to 17 years of age, a child can also apply for the unaccompanied minor facility, which is optional for them.
- American Airlines allows only non-stop flights for kids under the age of 14.
- From 14 to 17 years of age, a child can travel on connecting flights.
- Less than 14 years of a kid is not allowed to travel on an overnight flight.
- The unaccompanied minor should reach the airport two hours prior to the scheduled domestic flight.
- Unaccompanied minors should reach the airport 3 hours prior to the scheduled international flight.
- Before letting the child travel alone with American Airlines, guardians or any adult who is responsible for that kid has to sign the consent form provided at the airport.
American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Age Restrictions
- From 0 to 4 years of age, a kid cannot travel alone under American Airlines Minor Policy.
- From 5 to 14 years of age, a minor is allowed, but contact with a guardian or any responsible adult is mandatory.
- Kids from 5 to 14 can travel only on non-stop flights.
- Both nonstop and connecting flights are available for minors from 15 to 17 years of age, but contact with any adult who is going to meet a kid at the final destination is required.
- American Airlines’ unaccompanied minor facility is optional for kids from 15 to 17 years of age.
- Unaccompanied minor service is mandatory for kids under 14 and above 5 years of age.
American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee For Children Under 17
- If there are two minors under 14 traveling alone, then the responsible adult will need to pay at once.
- The charges are applied according to the distance between the departure and the arrival locations.
- Traveling on a domestic flight one-way required $150 including a service charge.
- Traveling round-trip on an international flight required $300, including service charges.
- On an international flight, the one-way trip cost will be $150, including extra charges and taxes.
- For a round-trip international flight, $300 is required along with the extra charges and taxes.
Available Locations For Minors of Age Group 15 To 17
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- New York City
- Los Angeles
American Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Services
- On American Airlines flights, children flying alone are eligible for priority boarding.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult until they check in for an American flight. The child will then be accompanied on the flight by an American Airlines flight crew.
- Under American Airlines baggage allowance, children are permitted to carry a limited amount of baggage.
- If your child is traveling alone, they can wait in the lounges at the connecting airports while being watched over by American Airlines staff. They can play games there and unwind.
Step-by-Step Guide To Book A Flight For AA Unaccompanied Minor
Via the Official Site or Mobile App
Open the American Airlines official site, or you can open the American Airlines mobile application, which you can easily download from your App Store or Google Play Store.
- Choose and fill out the departure and arrival destinations.
- Choose the type of your trip.
- Fill in the travel dates.
- Select the age of a kid.
- Hit the search tab.
- Select one of the given flights on the screen.
- Move ahead and fill up the reservation form with the required details for an adult and a kid.
- Pay the booking fees with the required extra charges and taxes.
- After completing these steps, AA Airlines will send the confirmation mail.
If you need to make changes or made a mistake while filling out a reservation form on the official site, you can fix it through the American Airlines Manage Booking section.
Via Phone Call To A Live Person
- Dial toll-free number to connect with a live person at American Airlines.
- After some on-call instructions, the customer will connect with the live representative.
- Ask them to book a flight for a minor and listen to all of American Airlines minor policy on the phone.
- As per American Airlines’ minor policy, provide the required details of an adult and a minor as well.
- The Live representative will fill out the reservation form on behalf of an adult as per the details they received.
- On the completion of a booking, pay for the necessary fees, extra charges, and taxes.
At the Airport Helpdesk
Except for frequent flyers, most passengers do not trust the online or on-call methods, which is why they prefer to visit the airport counter directly for booking. Read the steps given below to book a minor’s flight ticket via the airport help desk.
- Navigate to the airport counter.
- Meet with a live person at the help desk.
- Provide the details they ask for.
- Pay for the applicable charges and taxes to get the booking confirmation mail.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does American Airlines allow minors to fly unaccompanied?
As per American Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Rules, from 5 to 17 years old, a minor can travel unaccompanied. Children from 1 to 4 years old are not allowed to travel alone and must be accompanied by an adult. The service of an unaccompanied minor is optional for children aged 15 to 17, and they can bring a child aged up to 13 with them to look after throughout the journey.
How old do you have to be to fly unaccompanied on American Airlines?
Kids from 5 to 17 years old can avail of unaccompanied minor services. If a child is 15 to 17 years old, they can apply for unaccompanied minor service if they require it; if they don’t, nobody will force them as it is not necessary. The airline will provide you with a wristband to wear throughout the journey that will help the airline or your guardian track your current location.
Can I send my 12 year old on a plane alone?
Obviously. Under the unaccompanied minor policy, your child is able to travel alone on a flight, but it is necessary for them to be a part of the unaccompanied minor service. Also, the airline will require the details of the guardian who is going to pick them up at the arrival destination.
What documents does a child need to fly within the US alone?
For domestic flights, children under 17 don’t need to provide any documents. The airline will ask for the documents of the responsible guardian or adult who drops the child at the airport and who is going to pick up the child at the arrival destination.
How do airports handle unaccompanied minors?
When you drop your child off at the airport, the airline staff will take the documents of the adult who is responsible for the child. After that adult departs the airport, airport staff will take care of your child until the flight arrives. When the flight arrives, the staff will help your child check-in and get onto the flight safely. Throughout the journey, the in-flight staff will take care of your child and serve them with the best entertainment activities. At the arrival airport, the ground staff will take your child to the terminal gate, where the other responsible person is waiting for them. Before handing over your child to that person, the staff will first ask for the documents; if the documents match, your child will be given to that person.
Do unaccompanied minors get priority boarding?
Before the flight arrives at the airport, your child will be transferred to the airport lounge, where they can enjoy a variety of snacks, candies, and soft drinks. When the flight arrives, the airline staff will take them to check-in and direct them to the private lane for priority boarding, which will take them directly to the flight.
How do I write a consent letter for my child to fly alone?
If you are writing a consent letter for a child who is going to travel alone, then don’t forget to include the necessary details such as the child’s full name, passport number, birthplace, gender, date of birth, departure, and arrival destinations with the distance in miles, details of legal guardians, etc.
Do both parents need to be present for travel consent form?
If your child is under 16 years of age, then you must provide a consent form to the airline. In the consent form, you have to mention the signature of both legal guardians for the protection of your child.