Going to fly with American Airlines? Know about the American Airlines baggage policy in this guide and pack your bags accordingly. The baggage allowances of each cabin class on American Airlines are different. For example, Business Class and First Class have extra complimentary carry-on and checked baggage allowances in comparison to economy class. In this guide, you will get to know the baggage allowance according to your cabin class, along with the required charges that are applicable for extra baggage. So, read below to know each thing in detail.
American Airlines Baggage Policy – Carry On & Checked Luggage
There are different kinds of luggage, such as carry-on, checked, excess, and exceptional bags, and their policies are also different from each other. American Airlines Baggage Policy offers some complimentary baggage, but if you go beyond the limitations, you will be subjected to paying for the additional baggage. Here are the conditions you should know before going to pack your bags:
Carry-On Baggage – Weight, Size, Allowance
- American Airlines allows passengers to carry one carry-on bag that should be able to fit under the seat located in front of you along with one hand luggage.
- Personal items include Laptop bags, briefcases, purses, etc.
- The dimension of the Personal item should meet 56cm x 36cm x 23cm.
- American Airlines includes even handles and wheels of the handbags in the total dimension.
Items That American Airlines Don’t Consider as Carry-on and Personal Items:
- Soft-sided cooler bags
- Diaper bags
- Child safety seats
- Mobility devices
- Medical equipment
Note: American Airlines Baggage Policy of economy fare does not allow the extra carry-on bag to any destination.
Checked Baggage – Weight, Size Allowance
American Airlines allows 5-10 checked baggage according to destinations. In the given table below, the quantity of checked baggage, including complimentary and additional bags, that each passenger is allowed to carry as per the mentioned destinations is listed. Here are some of the destinations that have different checked baggage allowances as per American Airlines Baggage Policy:
|Destinations||Checked Baggage Allowance|
|Within America||10 Bags|
|Transatlantic routes||10 Bags|
|Transpacific routes||10 Bags|
|Travelling To or From Mexico||5 Bags|
|Travelling To or From the Caribbean||5 Bags|
|Travelling To or From Central America||5 Bags|
|Travelling To or From South America||5 Bags|
|Travelling To or From Brazil||5 Bags|
- In American Airlines Economy Class to any destination, checked baggage size should not be more than 158cm and weight should be exactly or less than 50 pounds.
- In American Airlines First Class or American Airlines Business Class checked baggage size should be no less than 158 cm. However, the total weight of checked luggage can be up to 70 pounds, but not more.
Note: For oversized and overweight checked baggage, passengers will be subjected to paying for the additional checked baggage charge as per the American Airlines Baggage Policy.
Baggage Allowance By Fare Type – Economy, Business, And First Class
Depending on the fare type you have purchased, the baggage allowance can vary. Below we provide the baggage allowance for each American Airlines cabin class.
For Basic Economy
- Passengers can carry laptop bags, purses, and small backpacks as carry-on items.
- American Airlines does not entertain any complimentary checked baggage in basic economy fares. If the passenger still wants to carry a checked bag, they can pay $30 or more, depending on the quantity, weight, and size of the bag.
For Main Cabin
- Passengers can carry small items such as purses, laptop bags, etc. as carry-on items.
- The carry-on item size should be 22 x 14 x 9 inches.
- One free checked bag is allowed in the main cabin fare. However, it should not be more than 50 pounds or 158 cm.
For Premium Economy
- Small items are allowed as carry-on items, but they must be able to fit in the overhead bin.
- Carry-on item sizes should not be larger than 22 x 14 x 9 inches.
- Two checked bags are free in Premium Economy fares.
- Each item of checked baggage should be exactly or less than 50 pounds and 158 cm.
For Business Class
- Carry-on baggage should be able to fit under the upper deck, and the size should not be more than 22 x 14 x 9 inches.
- Two checked bags are free in Business Class fares.
- Checked baggage weight should not be more than 70 pounds, and size must be less than 62 inches.
For First Class
- Carry-on luggage should not exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches.
- Three checked bags are complimentary.
- The weight and size requirements for each checked bag are 70 pounds and 158 cm, respectively.
Special Baggage Allowance – Sports Items Or Musical Instruments
- Sports equipment, musical instruments, and large or fragile items are considered exceptional baggage at American Airlines.
- If the size and weight of the exceptional baggage match the size and weight of carry-on bags, you are permitted to bring exceptional baggage as a carry-on item. Also, you can take them as checked baggage if they meet the size and weight requirements for checked baggage. Otherwise, the airline will charge you additional fees for them.
- Exceptional items should not be larger than 320 cm in size and 50 pounds in weight.
American Airlines Checked Baggage Fee
In economy fare, American Airlines does not allow complimentary checked baggage. However, you can take some checked baggage as per your requirements, which will be subject to American Airlines Baggage Fees.
Checked Baggage Fee On Domestic Routes
|Number of Checked Baggage||Cost|
|Fourth or more||$200|
Checked Baggage Fee On Transatlantic Routes
|Number of Checked Baggages||Cost|
|Additional Item per piece||$200|
Checked Baggage Fee On Transpacific Routes
|Number of Checked Baggage||Cost|
|First Additional Item||$100|
|For a Second or more Additional Item||$200|
Additionally, in many situations, American Airlines allows you to carry up to three checked bags for free, depending on the flight cabin class.
Extra/Excess Baggage Rules On American Airlines
According to the American Airlines baggage rules, if your checked baggage exceeds 50 pounds in weight and 158 cm in size, the airline will consider it as excess baggage. For excess checked baggage, there are charges as per the routes. Additionally, passengers should remember that the excess baggage fees are not refundable, and you will be charged differently for each way.
Passengers of First Class, Business Class, Oneworld Emerald, and also Executive Platinum can carry checked baggage weighing 70 pounds and measuring 320 cm in total. However, if you go beyond the limitations, you will be subjected to paying charges for overweight and oversized luggage. According to American Airlines’ Baggage Policy, the last 99 pounds of excess luggage are permitted.
How To Add More Baggage To American Airlines Bookings?
Passengers can add more baggage to their American Airlines booking both online and offline. If you choose to do so online, you shall be required to access the American Airlines Manage Booking service. Both the online and offline processes are discussed in detail below:
Add Baggage Online
1. Go to the official American Airlines website and click on the Your Trips tab.
2. log in to the “My Trips” section.
3. Select the reservation to which you want to add baggage.
4. Click on the add baggage option and view the baggage policy.
5. Select the number of checked bags.
6. Make the payment by using a credit card or other available payment methods.
7. Once you have completed the process, you will be able to see the updated information in your booking confirmation.
Add Baggage Offline
- For your region, find the contact number for American Airlines.
- Call the number and follow the prompts.
- Provide your name, flight number, and booking reference number.
- Provide the number of bags you wish to add to your reservation, and the live person will tell you the required cost.
- Make the payment using the available payment methods, and then you will receive the confirmation message.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many bags can I take on American Airlines for free?
In American Airlines Premium Economy and Business Class, passengers are allowed to check two bags for free and three bags in First Class. Also, two free items as carry-on bags are allowed for free to any location or on any fare.
Do you get 2 free bags with American Airlines?
In each class, two complimentary items are allowed as carry-on items and two free checked bags are allowed in American Airlines Premium Economy and Business Class.
How much is the baggage allowance for American Airlines?
American Airlines Economy Fares do not allow passengers to carry complimentary checked baggage. However, passengers need to pay charges if they wish to check items. One checked bag costs $30, a second bag costs $40, a third bag costs $150, and more than three bags cost $200.
Does America have 1 free checked bag?
In American Airlines Main Cabin fare, passengers can take one carry-on item for free. If taking more than one, it will be subject to additional charges.
How much is checked baggage on American Airlines Basic Economy?
For American Airlines Basic Economy Fares, if you are travelling to or from the USA, Puerto Rico, Canada, or the Virgin Islands, you will need to pay $30 or more each way.
How much luggage is allowed on international flights on American Airlines?
In American Airlines International Flight, complimentary baggage size should not exceed 158cm and weight should not exceed 70 pounds. More than 50 pounds of checked baggage will count as excess baggage, and the airline will charge you accordingly.
Does American Airlines have free checked bags internationally?
On certain routes, American Airlines long-haul flights offer one free checked bag.
How do I get a copy of my baggage receipt for American Airlines?
Go to the American Airlines official site, then navigate to the Manage My Booking tab. Choose a reservation for which you require a receipt. Click on the My Receipt option and scroll down to the bottom. Click on the Cost Details button. So, here is your receipt. You can get a copy or download it by clicking on the download icon.
Who to contact at American Airlines for lost baggage?
If you lost your baggage at American Airlines, you should dial 1-800-535-5225. After connecting with the live person, you can ask your question to them directly.
Does delayed baggage get compensation?
At American Airlines, if your baggage is lost, delayed, or damaged, the airline is fully responsible to get you compensation as quickly as possible.
How do I track my delayed baggage?
After check-in, the airline will provide you with tracking details for your baggage. If your baggage is delayed, you can use this tracking barcode with GPS tracking devices or Bluetooth.
Where do I complain about lost luggage?
If you lost your luggage, you must have a copy of the irregularity report. Contact the airline by phone or by visiting directly at the customer service counter and report your lost luggage. Within 7 days, you will get your lost luggage along with the compensation.