A day without your pet is challenging for many pet lovers and even worse when planning a trip without your pet. So, to overcome this challenge and take your pet with you on every vacation, you can book a ticket for you and your pet on Spirit Airlines. The airlines allow you to carry your furry friend on every vacation all over the U.S. However, you must comply with the Spirit Airlines Pet Policy for a safe and hassle-free journey. The policy includes certificates, documentation, and a booking procedure. Hence, to know every detail, ensure to go through the entire article.
Spirit Airlines Pet Policy – Latest Guidelines for Pet Travel
To carry your pet on Spirit Airlines, you must go through strict airline policies for a safe trip for you and your pet.
- Spirit Airlines permits pets to travel in the cabin with the passengers.
- Spirit only allows domesticated dogs, cats, rabbits, and birds on the flight.
- Spirit allows pets to travel domestically in all U.S. cities, including flights to/from the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and ST. Thomas.
- However, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands to/from flights do not allow household birds and rabbits on board.
- Carrying a pet’s health certificate is not mandatory when traveling within the U.S. except when flying to US Virgin Islands.
- Also, carrying a pet rabies vaccination certificate on Spirit is mandatory when traveling to/from Puerto Rico.
- Spirit Airlines does not permit pets to travel internationally except for service animals.
- Spirit Airlines does not accept exotic pet animals like rodents, snakes, spiders, sugar gliders, etc.
- Spirt only allows a maximum of 2 pets per container, but only one container per guest is permitted.
- The minimum pet age must be at least 8 weeks old and fully weaned.
- Under Spirit Pet Policy, passengers cannot carry their pets in cargo or check-in baggage.
- The pet must be in a container for the entire flight duration. Additionally, the pet must be able to stand and move comfortably in its carrier.
- Pet must be inoffensive, harmless, and requires no attention during the flight.
- Passengers traveling with Pet ensure to avoid occupying the emergency exit and the first-row seats.
- The pet should not be violent, ill, or physically distressed. Moreover, if the animal causes any disturbance or becomes offensive before boarding, you and your pet will not be permitted to board.
- Passengers must meet the size carrier requirements and the weight of the carrier.
Pet Policy for International Spirit Flights
Under Spirit Pet Policy, the airline prohibits passengers from carrying their pets internationally. However, service animals with proper documentation and requirements are allowed. Depending on the destination, the particular document of the pet will be required. Thus, to know the complete requirements, you can contact Spirit Airlines Guest Service at 855-728-3555.
Is Your Pet Eligible To Fly On Spirit?
Spirit Airlines only permit small domesticated pets to travel within the U.S., which includes:
- Domestic Cats
- Domestic Dogs
- Small Household Rabbits
- Small Household Birds
Note: Flight to/from Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands does not permit small household birds and rabbits. Additionally, Spirit Airlines does not allow pets to travel internationally except for Service Animals.
Pets Spirit Airlines Won’t Accept Onboard
It should be noted that Spirit Airlines does not allow some specific breeds under any circumstances. The list of unacceptable species on Spirit is as follows.
- Sugar Gliders
- Rodents like mice, hamsters, squirrels, rats, etc.
- Other reptiles
- Household Birds do not include birds of prey, flightless birds, Poultry, game birds, and waterfowl.
Apart from this, if the pet exceeds the size and weight or is harmful, it will not be allowed in the cabin. Lastly, if the passengers aren’t sure about the animal, you must take the airline’s confirmation in writing for a smooth, comfortable trip.
Pet Carrier Must Meet Spirit’s Size Guidelines
Passengers must keep in mind to carefully check the size of the carrier. Spirit Airlines inspect the size of the carrier and then only approves it. For complete clarification, read the article in continuation.
- The maximum dimension of a pet carrier should not exceed 18″ in length x 14″ in width x 9″ in height (45.72cm x 35.56 cm x 22.86cm).
- The pet carrier must be able to fit under the seat that is in front of the passenger.
- The combined weight of the pet carrier and the pet must not exceed 40 Pounds or 18.14kg.
- Under Spirit Pet Policy, your pet will be counted as a one plus carry-on baggage. Hence, it incurs some fees.
- Spirit Pet Carrier Size must be big enough so the pet can easily stand upright and turn around. However, Spirit does not permit the pet container in which the head of the pet can remain outside.
- The pet must stay in the container for the entire duration.
- Moreover, the airlines only allow soft containers for pets.
- Ensure the pet carrier complies with all the government-issued guidelines for a safe journey.
Ways To Add A Pet On Your Next Spirit Flight
You need to make a reservation to add your pet to the cabin with you on Spirit Airlines. You can go through all procedures to make a booking. Although, Online pet reservations are unacceptable.
Lastly, a maximum of six containers are only allowed on the flight, and the booking is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Request Pet Travel by Calling the Airline
To make a reservation for your pet, contact the official toll-free number of Spirit Airlines, i.e., 1-855-728-3555. Follow the IVR instructions, and once you are connected to the representative, share all the necessary details and documents of the pet. Lastly, make the required payment. Thus, your reservation is complete.
Spirit Accepts Pet Travel Requests through A Text Message
You can book your pet by texting a message at 48763 on your phone with all the required details. The details include the passenger’s ticket confirmation number and pet documents.
Reach Out To Spirit via WhatsApp
The best alternative method to reserve a place for your pet in the aircraft cabin is to text the message on Spirit Airline’s official WhatsApp number, i.e.855-728-3555 (available 24/7).
After completing your reservation, if there is a need to make modifications, you can retrieve your booking through the Spirit Airlines Manage Booking portal.
How much is the Spirit Airlines Pet Travel Fee?
Spirit Pet Fees imply to all domesticated pets that are traveling within the U.S. and destinations including Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and ST. Thomas. Thus, the Pet transportation fee is $125 per pet container, one way, and is not non-refundable. However, a maximum of six containers are only allowed on the flight. More details on Pet Travel charges are available on the Spirit Airlines website.
Emotional Support Animals Are Treated As Standard Pets
To comply with the U.S. Department of Transportation rules, Spirit Airlines has updated its pet policy. According to the new policy, emotional support animals are treated like normal pets. Thus, it incurs a fee. Due to various safety reasons, the pet must comply with all the requirements of normal domesticated pets, such as pet travel carrier size and weight. Additionally, travelers traveling with service animals must check in at the counter at least 1 hour before to complete all the pet security screening and documentation.
Spirit Airlines Pet Travel Rules for Service Animals
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the airlines welcome trained dogs and psychiatric service animals to travel on aircraft for free. However, in order to travel with service animals, you must comply with the guidelines issued by Spirit Airlines.
- Before traveling, you must fill out and submit U.S. DOT Service Animal Air Transportation Form. However, the form must be submitted to the airlines within 48 before the departure of the flight.
- You must carry all the necessary documents and certificates of the pet. The documentation includes a Veterinary Health Form, Rabies Certificate, Mental Health Professional Form, and an acknowledgment form by the passengers.
- If the flight duration exceeds 8 hours, you must submit a U.S. Dot Service Animal Relief Attestation form.
- Spirit Airlines requires additional documents when traveling internationally. However, the list of documents depends on the country traveling. Thus, the passenger can contact Spirit Airlines Guest Service to know the documentation requirements.
- Spirit Airlines only allow dogs as service animals; However, the dogs must be fully trained and at least 4 months old.
- Service animals can sit on the lap of the passengers, but the pet must not occupy the other seat.
- One disabled passenger is allowed to carry 2 trained service animals.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Spirit Airlines allow pets to travel?
Yes, Spirit Airlines allows domesticated pets to travel in the cabin to all the domestic cities within the U.S., including Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and St. Thomas.
Does Spirit allow pet travel in Cargo?
Spirit Airlines does not permit pets to travel in cargo or check-in baggage. However, Passengers can carry their domesticated pets in the cabin.
What are the acceptable animals on Spirit Airlines?
The pets acceptable by Spirit Airlines to travel within the U.S. are domesticated dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. However, domestic birds and rabbits are prohibited from traveling to/from Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.
What is Pet Carrier Size on Spirit Airlines?
The maximum dimension of a pet carrier should not exceed 18″ in length x 14″ in width x 9″ in height (45.72cm x 35.56 cm x 22.86cm).
Does Spirit allow emotional support animals to fly for free?
As per the new policy of the U.S. Department of Transportation, emotional support animals are treated as normal pets and hence incur fees.
What are Spirit Airlines Pet Fees?
The Pet transportation fee on Spirit Airlines for all domestic routes within the U.S. and Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and ST Thomas is $125 per pet container, one way, and is not non-refundable.
What is the weight of the Pet Carrier on Spirit Airlines?
As per the strict policy of Spirit Airlines, the combined weight of the pet carrier and the pet must not exceed 40 Pounds or 18.14kg.
How to book a ticket for the pet on Spirit Airlines?
To book a reservation for the pet, the passengers must have a ticket. For booking, you can use any method provided below:
- Call at 1-855-728-3555
- Text Message at 48763
- Whatsapp Message at 855-728-3555 (available 24/7)
What is the travel certificate required for Pets on Spirit Airlines?
On Spirit Airlines, carrying a pet’s health certificate is not mandatory when traveling within the U.S. However, it is mandatory to have when flying to US Virgin Islands.
Also, carrying a pet rabies vaccination certificate on Spirit is mandatory when traveling to/from Puerto Rico.
Does Service animals flying on Spirit Airlines incur a fee?
Spirit Airlines only allow dogs as service animals to fly in the cabin, and as these animals are to take care of the person, the airlines do not charge any fees to service animals. But they must require proper documentation.
Do Spirit Airlines allow pets to fly internationally?
Per the Spirit Pet Policy, the airline does not permit the pet to fly internationally. However, service animals are allowed to travel internationally.
What are the unacceptable pets on Spirit Airlines?
Some specific animals that are prohibited on Spirit Airlines are Snakes, Sugar Gliders, Spiders, Ferrets, Rodents (such as mice, rats, squirrels, & hamsters), and other reptiles.