A situation occurs when passengers have to let their child travel alone on the flight for any reason. Being parents, leaving their child to travel alone is the most complex situation when they cannot join the minor and have stress about how the minor will travel independently. Not to worry! There are airlines that allow minors to travel alone and with complete safety. One of them is JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Program which provides comfort and assigns one of their staff with the child during their journey. Therefore, parents should know many factors, including age, in this service before booking a flight for their child.
JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor – Step By Step Guide
The airline allows a child between the ages of 5-14 to travel with JetBlue alone, yet enrolling with JetBlue unaccompanied minor program is compulsory. Minors above 14 years can travel as independent passengers and not as unaccompanied minors. Though, parents can still book their tickets as unaccompanied minors for extra support. The airline staff will ensure the minor has a comfortable and safe flight and provide all required measures accordingly. The service applies at the origin and destination airport during the flight.
Guidelines For Children Traveling Alone On JetBlue
- The unaccompanied minor service is eligible for children aged between 5-14 children.
- Minors below the age of 5 should travel with a companion whose age is above 14 years.
- Minor children with age above 14 can also register as unaccompanied minors.
- Maximum 3 minors can book as unaccompanied minors on JetBlue Airlines.
- JetBlue only allows minors on non-stop flights.
- Unaccompanied minors cannot book their tickets through codeshare or interline flights.
- The airline does not offer flights to or from UK and Europe for unaccompanied minors.
Airport Rules, Documents Required, and More
- Parents or guardians should accompany minors to the airport.
- At the destination airport, an adult should arrive to pick up the minor.
- Parents should mention any disability or special requirements to the airline while booking the minor.
- The unaccompanied minor should bring their photo ID.
- An adult who drops or picks up the minor should also have a photo ID.
- It is mandatory that the minor must have 3 copies of the unaccompanied minor form on JetBlue.
- The minor should reach the airport in advance of the check-in time.
- An adult responsible for picking up the minor at the destination should reach the airport 30 minutes before the arrival of the flight.
- For all international flights, it is crucial that unaccompanied minors have all the necessary documents required by the destination.
- Unaccompanied minors’ parents or guardians at arrival and departure airports should also have their names, addresses, and contact numbers on the booking.
Parents must ensure that their unaccompanied minor child should carry along the following list of documents below while traveling with JetBlue Airlines. It is essential to carry along these documents for travel.
- School ID proof
- Birth Certificate
- Federal ID card
- Guardian’s consent form.
Flight Crew Will Ensure A Comfortable Journey For Minors
- The airline crew will check on the minor and ensure they have a comfortable journey.
- Unaccompanied minors can inform the flight attendant for any assistance.
- The minor should board early to meet the crew members and settle down.
- During the flight, minors might get some complimentary snacks.
- The airline staff will keep the minors busy so they do not feel lonely.
How To Book A JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Ticket?
The airline allows unaccompanied minors to book through online and offline processes. The guardian can book by visiting the website or by calling the reservation department of JetBlue.
Booking An Unaccompanied Minor Ticket Online
- Visit the JetBlue website for the restrictions applied to unaccompanied minor
- Now select the number of minors available by mentioning zero under the adults’ section for JetBlue Airlines Unaccompanied Minor ticket booking.
- Fill in all the details about the solo traveler and the child’s age.
- After this, click on the ‘Find Flights’ button.
- Follow the instructions and select the type of seat you want from the seat map available for JetBlue Airlines flights.
- Confirm the booking by proceeding with payment.
Once completing the booking procedure, parents must fill out the guardian contact form online on the website. The form contains details about the person picking up and dropping off the minor at the airport. The airline allows you to make changes in the booking through the JetBlue Airways Manage Booking option before check-in. Ensure to take the printouts for the child to carry along on the day of travel at the airport.
Unaccompanied Minor Tickets Can Also Be Booked via Call
With the offline method, one can visit the airport at the airline’s help desk and ask the support representative to help book a flight ticket for the minor. Follow the instructions as directed by the agent over the call. Mention him with the date and destination for the journey of an unaccompanied minor. Pay the ticket price and the unaccompanied minor fee. After completing the transaction, a confirmation mail will be sent to the mail address.
JetBlue Charges A Fee For Unaccompanied Minor Travel
The airlines charge an additional fee for an unaccompanied minor service along with the ticket price. The fee will be the same for both international and domestic routes. However, JetBlue Airlines charges a specific fee for an unaccompanied minor of $150 each way. If the child has a round-trip, then it would cost $300.
Airport and Onboard Experience For Children Traveling Alone
From boarding to seating arrangements, the air travel experience for unaccompanied minors differs from standard travel with the airline.
Once the check-in process completes and after paying the unaccompanied minor fee, you will receive a JetBlue staff member to accompany your child to the gate. The child will be given priority check-in facilities and can sit in the lounge. The crew will assist the child till boarding. For domestic flights on JetBlue Airlines, one must arrive at least 90 minutes before the departure. One must reach the airport 2 hours before departure for international flight boarding.
Unaccompanied Minors will get seats at the back of the aircraft so that the flight attendants easily be available for the minors. They will receive extra care from the crew JetBlue mint and more® space seats are not allowed for unaccompanied minors.
Unaccompanied minors can carry the same checked baggage as the other passengers in that particular class. The minors can bring one carry-on bag and one personal item to the cabin.
Frequently Asked Questions
At what age can an unaccompanied minor travel on JetBlue?
Minors aged 5-14 can travel unaccompanied on JetBlue, yet a specific fee applies to the child traveling alone.
How do I avoid JetBlue unaccompanied fee?
Minors above the age of 12 can travel as a passenger under a young travel program that does not require a fee but have to get a gate pass for adults picking up and dropping off the child. This program is only for direct and domestic flights.
What proof does the airline require for an unaccompanied?
Here are some documents which need to be with an unaccompanied during traveling on JetBlue:
- School ID proof
- Birth Certificate
- Federal ID card
- Guardian’s consent form
What is the fee for an unaccompanied minor on JetBlue?
The airline charges a specific fee with the ticket for the services provided by the airline to an unaccompanied minor is $150 each way.
Does JetBlue allow unaccompanied to travel on connecting flights?
No, the airline does not allow travel on connecting flights for unaccompanied minors. They are only allowed on direct flights, excluding UK and Europe.
How to book for an unaccompanied minor?
Parents or guardians can book their minor’s tickets by visiting the official website of JetBlue and following some steps, and mentioning in advance about the travel of unaccompanied minors. Therefore, a certain fee will be charged for the service during the booking. For the offline process, an adult can call the support team and mention the booking of an unaccompanied minor.
What is unaccompanied minor service on JetBlue?
The airline allows a child between the ages of 5-14 to travel with JetBlue alone, yet enrolling with JetBlue unaccompanied minor program is compulsory. The airline staff will ensure the minor has a comfortable and safe flight and provide all required measures accordingly. The service applies at the origin and destination airport during the flight.
What is the baggage allowance for an unaccompanied minor?
An unaccompanied minor can bring a bag and a personal item as a carry-on bag and checked baggage according to the particular class requirements, just like other passengers.
Can I book an unaccompanied minor ticket through Codeshare?
Unaccompanied minor tickets cannot be booked through a codeshare or interline flight on JetBlue. Their tickets must be booked through the official network of JetBlue.
Can my 14 years old fly alone on JetBlue?
Yes, minors above 14 can travel as independent passengers and not as unaccompanied minors. Though, parents can still book their tickets as unaccompanied minors for extra support. The airline staff will ensure the minor has a comfortable and safe flight and provide all required measures accordingly.