Southwest is an American airline company out of Dallas, Texas. It is the largest low-cost carrier in the world and provides flights to 121 destinations including both inside and outside of the United States.
In this blog we are going to talk about the name change policy on a southwest flight ticket:
- Terms & Conditions
- and some Questions.
So, let us start with what exactly is,
Southwest Airlines Name Change Policy
Southwest Airlines’ name-changing policy allows passengers to change their names/make corrections in their names on their airline tickets. They are the guidelines that dictate, what all can be corrected/changed, the terms & conditions that determine whether one is eligible for it, and the types of changes allowed by calling the helpline at +1-202-982-2463 for help.
It should also be noted that this process can only be done through the official Southwest Airlines channels, as no third-party (travel agents, booking agencies, other websites, etc.) can change or correct the name of the passenger on a booking.
Let us start.
Types of Southwest Airlines Name Change & Corrections
Southwest Airlines allow the passenger to request two types of changes in their name on the flight tickets, these are-
- Name Correction – This allows the passenger to correct a total of 4-letters in the name fed into the booking record (First, middle, and surname included). This process can also be done by the passengers themselves.
- Name Change – This allows the passengers to change their name on the booking record and the Southwest Database, in certain circumstances. This is a more complex process and is handled by the airline.
Terms & Conditions for Name Change and Corrections
- Rapid Reward Members & member who are under a frequent flyer contract cannon change their names on the ticket. Unless in the case of the legal name change.
- A passenger cannot transfer their PNR’s ownership to someone else, meaning that the ticket owner cannot be transferred to someone else.
- Southwest Airlines name change can only be done in case the passenger gets their name changed legally.
- Through Court Order
- The airline tickets are reissued after the name change, and a name change fee is to be deposited, and the fare increase (if the reissued ticket is of a higher class than the original). There are two fee structures depending on when the change/correction is requested,
- $150, if the name change request is made within 24 hours of booking.
- $200, if the name change is requested after 24 hours of booking.
- In the case of Interline or Codeshare flights, the name change done by Southwest Airlines will only be applicable to the flight segment operated by Southwest Airlines. For the other segments, the passenger will have to get the names changed through the airlines that operate those particular segments.
- While the name change is processed, the most restrictive fare rule is applied to the ticket.
- Passengers cannot swap the seats reserved between the original ticket with the reissued one.
- In case of the name change, flight segments that still has the wrong name need to be canceled by using the e-ticket for a refund.
- According to the Southwest Airlines name change policy, corrections can be made up to 4 words in total, including the first name, middle name, and surname.
- Correction of titles and spacing between names is included in the 4-word limit.
- This policy only dictates the rules for changing/correcting the name, every other information, like Passenger Type Code (PTC), Date of Birth (DOB), Gender, etc. Are included in the re-issuance request.
- Correction exceeding 4 words, are to be requested at the Southwest Airlines Manage Booking and Phone Number (1-800-435-9792).
Southwest Airlines Name Change & Correction
Name Change – If the entire name of a passenger is incorrect on the ticket, then the passenger can just cancel the ticket, claim a refund and book another ticket with the correct name, provided that it’s not been 24 hours since the booking.
If it has been more than 24 hours since the booking, and the passenger has had their name legally changed. Then the passenger can,
- Contact Customer Relations (1-855-234-4654). You will need to provide them with,
- Legal proof of name change (Government-issued ID – Old and New, Divorce Documents, Marriage Documents), and they will change your name, and update the same information in your Rapid Rewards account.
- Phone Number
- Rapid Reward Account Number (If you have one)
- Another way is, contact Southwest Airlines directly on Twitter or Facebook (Username – @SouthwestAir). Send proof of name change via private messages, your name, and other information.
Name Correction – If there is only an error in your name that needs to be fixed, then there are three ways that passengers can make corrections to their names on the tickets, through the website, mobile app, and phone call at +1-202-982-2463, if they have legally gotten their names changed.
*Only up to 4 characters can be changed in the whole name, including the titles & spaces.
- Go to – https://www.southwest.com/
- Click on the “flight” tab at the top of the page.
- Click on “Manage Reservations”
- Enter the details requested
- First Name
- Last Name
- Click on Search.
- Click on Change Name.
- Make the corrections.
- Pay the name-changing fee.
- Your new ticket will be issued after the name change is processed.
- Mobile App
- Open the app.
- Tap on the icon on the top left.
- Tap on Look Up Reservations.
- Enter your details
- Confirmation Number
- First Name
- Last Name
- Tap on Retrieve Reservations.
- Tap on the pencil icon next to your name.
*The pencil icon will only appear if you are eligible for a name change, if there is no pencil icon, and your name is in an unhighlighted state, that means you cannot make corrections to your name.
- Make corrections.
- You’ll receive an email confirming the name change.
- Call at +1-844-673-0381.
- Provide the six-digit booking reference ID to the Southwest agent.
- The agent will require you to submit via post, the photocopies of your
- Name Change proof
- Current ID
- Old ID (if you have a new id)
- Divorce document.
- Marriage Certificate.
- Other Legal Documents.
- Pay the name change fee and any additional fare.
- You’d be sent a confirmation once the name change is processed.
- Check-in again (if you already had checked in before the name change).
Now you know whether you are eligible for a name change & correction, and if yes, how to do it without any hassle.
Check Also; Allegiant Air Change Flight
Frequently Asked Questions-
Q. Can you change the name on a Southwest Airline ticket?
- Yes, however only under very particular circumstances, those are-
- Legal Name Change by a Court Order
Q. Can you transfer your flight to someone else?
- No, most airlines do not allow their passengers to transfer their ticket ownership to someone else, but most airlines do offer cancellation & refund, without any charge if done under a certain time period.
Q. Can Southwest travel funds be used for another person?
- No, according to the present guideline, a passenger’s Southwest Airlines travel funds cannot be used for another person.
Q. Can I transfer Southwest points to a family member?
- Yes, but only if that family member is also a Rapid Rewards Member. Need help changing the name on spirit airlines, dial the helpline at +1-202-982-2463.