Delta Airlines has been one of the industry’s oldest and most well-reputed airlines for the last 98 years. Being one of the top airlines, they have a set of rules and regulations in which the airlines operate. Thus, policies have been made for the passengers to follow while traveling with delta airlines. One of them is Delta Baggage Policy which explains all the information about the baggage weight, size, checked baggage, and carry-on baggage.
What is Delta Baggage Policy?
Delta Airlines offer their passenger a comfortable and relaxed journey. Delta Baggage Policy tries to understand and prepares itself according to your needs. One can check in within 24 hours of departure and mention the number of bags they carry.
Things to keep in mind:
- If the exit is from Canada or Europe, the baggage amount will be charged in CAD or EUR.
- The passengers traveling to/from Key West, Florida, will be allowed only one checked bag.
- The restriction for weight varies by the cabin. First, Delta One and business-class passengers can carry up to 70 lb per piece. Whereas other classes are allowed to carry up to 50 lb per piece.
- Boxes that are factor-sealed bags or in original packing are only allowed as checked baggage while traveling to/from Central or South America.
- In regional jet service, n excess baggage is allowed in Delta connection or other domestic jet flights to/from cities in Mexico.
Carry-On Baggage Allowance
In Delta baggage policy, passengers can carry one checked bag and one personal bag without paying any charge. A bag that can fit under your seat, like a handbag, laptop bag, or small bag. However, carrying a piece of baggage to put in an overhead bin, please go through the size required to be allowed as carry-on baggage.
- The baggage measurements length, width, and height should not exceed 56 cm* 35cm* 23 cm.
- The combined dimension of baggage must be at most 45 linear inches.
- This involves any wheel or handle bag but any musical instruments.
- For Singapore Changi international airport, the weight for carry-on baggage should not exceed 7 kg.
- For Shanghai, China, in Pudong International Airport, the weight should not exceed 10 kg.
Checked Baggage Allowance
According to delta airlines’ baggage policy, a passenger can carry first checked baggage by paying $30 for weights up to 23 kg. If the passenger has two checked bags, the second bag would be charged $40, and the weight should not exceed 23 kg. Delta Airlines Checked baggage guidelines are listed below:
- The baggage size should be at most 62 inches.
- For delta sky miles, American Express Card Holder, the first checked baggage is free of charge.
- The charges for checked baggage vary for different routes and fare classes.
Overweight or Oversized Baggage Allowance
Delta Airlines charges for overweight or oversized baggage. Thus, one should know all the essential baggage-related points before traveling with excess or oversized baggage. Everyone should follow some delta airlines baggage restrictions.
- Flights that run within United States baggage should not exceed by weight of 45.36 kg.
- Delta Airlines baggage weight limit is up to 45.36 kg. Above this weight, the airline does not permit the baggage.
- Flight between North/south/central America, Europe/north Africa bags should not exceed 31.75 kg.
- Flights to/from/through Europe, South Africa, or the United Arab Emirates should not exceed 31.75 kg.
- If delta airlines baggage size exceeds the mentioned size, you must pay $200.
Delta Airlines Military Baggage Allowance
Delta baggage policy has an exceptional condition for the military personnel, as they work for the country’s safety. They get baggage fee exceptions when they travel for work or with family. The bag’s dimensions can be 80 linear inches for work. However, if the active military member is traveling for leisure, the size of the bag can be up to 62 linear inches.
Delta Airlines Baggage Fee
|First checked bag||$30||50 lbs||62”|
|Second checked bag||$40||50 lbs||62”|
|Third checked bag||$150||50 lbs||62”|
|Fourth checked bag||$200||50 lbs||62”|
|Overweight bag||+$100||51-70 lbs||62”|
|Overweight bag||+$200||71-100 lbs||62”|
|Oversized bag||+$200||50 lbs||63-80”|
How To Add Baggage At Delta Airlines?
Passengers can add baggage both online and offline. If you choose to add baggage online, you shall be required to use the Delta Airlines Manage Booking facility. Here’s how you can add baggage both online and offline.
- Open the Delta Airlines official site and look at the menu at the top of the screen.
- From the available menu, click on the “My Trips” Tab.
- After that, you must provide your confirmation number of flight booking, Credit/Debit card number, or Ticket number.
- In the next blanks, enter your first name and last name, then hit on the arrow.
- You will be redirected to the new page as you click on the arrow. Choose a reservation you require to add baggage, then select the add baggage option.
- Provide the baggage details and review the information and cost you need to pay for it.
- Provide the payment details and complete the payment process.
- At last, you will receive the confirmation mail on the registered mail ID or a message on the registered mobile number.
To talk to a live person At Delta Airlines Directly, follow the instructions given below:
- To talk to a live person, Dial 800-221-1212.
- Choose your preferred language by clicking on the correct digit.
- Listen carefully to the automated voice instructions and press on the other key accordingly, and then you will be connected with a live representative at Delta Airlines.
- Ask them to add baggage on your behalf.
- Provide the required details, and then the live person will complete the process on your behalf.
- If required, you need to pay the baggage fees.
- Aerosol products
- Fireworks or explosives
- Gunpowder like black powder, mace, and pepper spray
- Paints or lubricants
- Meals ready to eat
- Items like refrigerators, air conditioners, or freezers.
- Explosive items
- Food or alcohol
- Personal care or medical items
- Sporting and leisure goods
- E-cigarette, marijuana
Some special items are also allowed to carry as checked baggage or carry-on baggage, which may include infants’ seats, medical equipment, etc. Thus, for special items, an additional fee might be charged.
- Children and infant item
- Fragile and bulky items
- Medical supplies and wheelchair
- Musical instrument
- Sports equipment
- Perishables and imported merchandise.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many bags can I carry on?
You can bring one carry-on bag and one personal bag inside the aircraft.
Do the bag fee applicable for international passengers?
Yes, some baggage applies a fee, not each bag. For further information, visit the official delta airlines baggage policy website.
What is carry-on baggage?
In carry-on baggage, passengers can carry one checked bag and one personal bag without paying any charge. A bag that can fit under your seat, like a handbag, laptop bag, or small bag.
What is the charge for the overweight baggage fee?
If the weight is between 51-70 lbs, there is an overweight baggage fee; you might have to pay an extra $100.
What is Delta Airlines baggage size limit?
The size limit is 62 inches. Exceeding the size, a certain fee will be charged.
Does Delta allow 2 free checked bags?
Delta allows two free checked bags to passengers traveling in first class, delta premium select or delta one.
What is a special item?
Special items include baggage that is not a piece of standard baggage but has a unique shape and size;
- Children and infant items
- Medical supplies or wheelchair
- Musical instrument
- Sports equipment
What are the items prohibited on delta airlines baggage policy?
- Aerosol products
- Fireworks and explosives
- Paints or lubricants
- Strike-anywhere matches
What happens if the baggage is delayed?
In any circumstance, if your baggage gets delayed, inform the executive as soon as possible. The executive will help you further by filling out a form to claim, where you will get a reference number to inquire about your baggage.
What are the criteria if the baggage is damaged?
Suppose you find out your baggage is damaged after arrival at delta airlines. Inform the executive at the airport. Once the executive evaluates your damage personally, you will be asked to complete a damaged form. You can report your claim after 24 hours if traveled domestically and within 7 days for international travel.