This blog deals with how to upgrade your seat on Qatar Airways. In particular, the blog considers the following points:
- How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways —Pre-requisites
- How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — Methods
- How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — by the Official Website of Qatar
- How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — by the Qatar Mobile App
- How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — at the Airport Check-in Counter
- How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — at Hamad International Airport
- Terms and Conditions applicable to Upgrades Purchased Online
Thus, if you find any of the sections useful, scan through the information and get yourself educated.
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — Pre-requisites
- Upgrades or booking an upgrade on Qatar Airways is subject to availability; It means you can only upgrade to a higher cabin class only if it is available.
- Qatar Airways lets you know, right on your smart devices, about an upgrade offer appropriate for you when it becomes available, i.e, if you are using the mobile app of Qatar, you will get notified of every upgrade offer on the My Trips dashboard on the app.
- Thus “How to upgrade your seat on Qatar Airways” is only possible if any upgrade is available for you to purchase.
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — Methods
If an upgrade is available and you want to purchase it, you can do so in any of the following ways:
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — by the Official Website of Qatar
- The first thing is to know whether there is an upgrade offer for you or not;
- Thus go to qatarairways.com and click on the My Trips button or dial +1-202-982-2463;
- Afterward, you will be asked to enter the following information:
- Booking reference, and
- Last name;
- After filling in this much information, the search engine will automatically take you to your itinerary;
- Here if there are any upgrade options available, they will display; and,
- If you have got an upgrade offer, follow the instructions on the spot and purchase the upgrade offered.
* Moreover, you can also get notice of such offers during the online check-in.
Related: What is qatar name change policy
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — by the Qatar Mobile App
On the app,
- First, you need to add your itinerary to your “My Trips” dashboard on the app;
- You can do so, using the same information as discussed above, i.e. booking reference, and last name;
- Once you have done that, this way, you will take notice of every upgrade offer that is available for you to book right on the screen of your mobile; and,
- And, if an upgrade is available, you can purchase the same right on the app.
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — at the Airport Check-in Counter
Upgrades purchased at the airport before departure is called Upgrades on Departure by Qatar Airways.
Further, Upgrades on Departure are classified into two categories, namely:
- First, upgrades on departure for flights to Doha; and
- Second, upgrades on departure for flights beyond Doha to another location.
Thus for each type of upgrade on departure, the way of upgrading differs.
If you are purchasing an upgrade on departure for your flight to Doha, you just need to talk to a Qatar Airways staff member at the airport check-in counter.
And, if you are buying an upgrade on departure for your flight beyond Doha, you have to visit an ‘Upgrade on Departure’ counter, which you will find in the Market Hall at Hamad International Airport (HIA)
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — at Hamad International Airport
And, if you are buying an upgrade on departure for your flight beyond Doha, you have to visit an ‘Upgrade on Departure’ counter, which you will find in the Market Hall at Hamad International Airport (HIA).
How to Upgrade Your Seat on Qatar Airways — by the Phone Call
Terms and Conditions applicable to Upgrades Purchased Online
The following are the terms and conditions that apply to upgrades purchased online, i.e. by qatarairways.com or the Qatar Airways app.
- The upgrade that Qatar offers to you is always valid for a specific flight number.
It means this upgrade is only available for a specific route, i.e. if your itinerary includes flying from A to B and then B to C, and the upgrade is valid for the flight number (imaginary) is QR 187 that flies only from A to B, then, in this case, you can only upgrade for half of your itinerary, that is, from A to B; thus specific flight number means for a specific route only.
Hence if you buy an upgrade offered to you, make sure you know what is the flight number for which it is valid.
However, an upgrade offer can also be valid for more than one flight number or route.
- Every upgrade that you take notice of may not be applicable or valid for your entire itinerary.
In other words, if your itinerary includes flying from A to B and then B to C, and the upgrade offer is only available for flights from A to B, thus, in this case, you cannot upgrade for both of the flights in your itinerary but A to B.
And, therefore if you upgrade for the flight from A to B, you will only fly on an upgraded flight from A to B leaving the flight from B to C in its original booking class.
- Every upgrade that you are notified of by Qatar comes with a time limit and thereby, if you do not book, and buy the upgrade within the specified period of time, the offer expires and you cannot upgrade subsequently.
- Every time you purchase an upgrade option offered to you, you have to pay for the same in any of the well-specified modes of payment, i.e. by specific credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, etc; it means you cannot buy an upgrade online either on the website or the app if none of the specified payment options sounds practical to you.
- If your reservation includes flights for more than one passenger, and you are purchasing an upgrade, you have to upgrade the flights of all the passengers.
And, therefore Qatar does not allow you to purchase upgrades only for one or two passengers while leaving others without upgrades; in other words, each passenger in a booking must purchase an upgrade.
- The moment you upgrade your flight to business or first class on Qatar Airways, no doubt, your in-flight seating experience gets elevated but your fare conditions.
The conditions you are subject to as per your fare or travel class are called fare conditions, i.e. cancelation rules dial +1-202-982-2463 for help, applicable fees like rebooking or change fees, baggage allowance, lounge access, rules related to frequent flyer miles accrual, etc.
Thus even after your flight is upgraded, the fare conditions of your original reservation — before the upgrade — still apply to you unless specified otherwise.
- Every upgrade is non-refundable, non-changeable, and non-transferable after the purchase. It means once you have ticketed an upgrade, you cannot cancel, or change it.
- If you have purchased an upgrade online and did not receive any upgraded flight to your destination, you will be refunded for the same.
- The remaining miscellaneous conditions:
9.1. If you receive an upgrade offer by email, you have to buy the offer, first, by visiting the same link as given in the email, and second, you can only pay for the same by any one of the credit card options, namely, Visa, American Express, Mastercard, and Diners Club.
9.2. You cannot upgrade a flight segment that has been already upgraded. It means if you have upgraded a flight segment from Basic to Business, you cannot further upgrade the same flight segment from Business to First class.
9.3. On Qatar Airlines, you can only upgrade to the next highest class. For example, if you are flying Economy, you cannot upgrade it to First leaving Business class in between. Thus you can only upgrade in the pre-assigned succession, that is, first, there comes Economy, then comes Business, and finally, there comes First class on Qatar Airways or call the Qatar helpline at +1-202-982-2463.
By the way, there are two types of Upgrades:
- Single-cabin upgrades mean upgrading either from Economy to Business or from Business to First.
- Double-cabin upgrades mean upgrading from Economy to First Class because Business Class is not available.
Thus if Business class is not available, you can buy a double-cabin upgrade and thereby upgrade directly from Economy to First Class.
9.4. you can upgrade your Qatar flight in cash as well as in Qmiles. Thus if you do not want to spend money, you do not need to because you can redeem Qmiles.